iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Strange projects

Started by Bibbyman, June 15, 2006, 10:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

:o  What is that, Pecan??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Looks like White Oak......what's the diameter?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Tony

Water oak  :) :)    32"   ::)
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

Magicman

???  OK, now whatcha gonna make  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Whew, that scared me for a moment.  Pecan =  smiley_devil.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

That silvery bark looked scaly and gave me a fright.  I see now that it is smooth.  That big crotch "lumber" is going to be interesting to dry and it might also be a  smiley_devil

homesteader shane

I have a customer that has brought some honduras mahogany out to the house to be resawed from 2X12, 2X10,2X8 into 1/4 inch materal. turns out he a wooden sail boat builder and it goes on the boat he build as flooring. He has told me each board is aroud 500$ and it takes 3 weeks to ship up to Ontario. I found I vary strange the frist time he called he was calling form Montreal Quebec. Its about a 4 hour drive from here but he comes up the visit with his family and brings the wood with him. He has been out 3 or 4 times now. I must be doing somthing right. I don't want to mess any up. $$$

Bibbyman

http://youtu.be/IyGowQmp6JQ

Mary and I have take up the hobby of Cowboy Action Shooting.  The club we shoot with just moved to a new range this spring.  The sport is shot from "stages" that give the impression of being in the frontier west.  The stages didn't make the move very well so Mary and I decided to build one. The above video is our handiwork at the second stage. 

It's constructed of cedar we sawed out of some small top logs.   The siding is cedar slabs I had ran through the edger.  We built 5 panels and assembled them on site with lag bolts. Since this video we added a painted metal roof and some small embellishments.   If I'm shaking and sound out of breath it's because it was very hot and humid with no breeze.

We need to make a sign and hang it.  We decided to name it "Boone Store" in honor of Daniel Boone who had a major role in the settlement of this area.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Sixacresand

Quote from: WDH on November 27, 2012, 10:16:22 PM
Whew, that scared me for a moment.  Pecan =  smiley_devil.
Danny, I made my Pig Roast Square out of Pecan. Glad you didn't see it.  :D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

bandmiller2

Bibbs, your going to have to show us a picture of you and Mary in western garb. Mayby have a contest here for your "handles", sounds like fun. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

redbeard

That sure is a neat idea for a shooting club.  Daniel Boone is one of my favorites.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

buzywoodliff

Someone mentioned Ponca City on here.... Small world, I have a brother in law from there.... He's a fireman over in Blackwell

Interesting stories on here and thanks for the pictures!!  I'll have to figure out how to get some of mine on the forum.

beenthere

busywood
Put your location in your bio so we can tell about where you are from. pls.

Go to your profile (click on your name will get you there) and add the info. It will show up when you post. tks

You also can set up your pic gallery while in your profile. That is needed to add pics.
A primer for pics is found on the first thread under the "Behind the Forum" forum on the "Home" page.

Look forward to some pics.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bibbyman

Quote from: bandmiller2 on August 28, 2014, 08:09:19 AM
Bibbs, your going to have to show us a picture of you and Mary in western garb. Mayby have a contest here for your "handles", sounds like fun. Frank C.

So far we've not gone all out cowboy garb.  Just jeans,  long sleeve shirt,  cowboy hat and leather boots with plain soles. The minimum requirements.   I had to get suspenders to feel comfortable out of my bibs. 

We have aliases, as they are called.   I decided on Warden Callaway and Mary,  Sawmill Mary.
Sawing since '94

WmFritz

Quote from: redbeard on August 28, 2014, 09:42:05 AM
That sure is a neat idea for a shooting club.  Daniel Boone is one of my favorites.

I like the name too. I named my 4 year old Labrador Retriever  'Boone'.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

LeeB

Quote from: Bibbyman on August 28, 2014, 03:54:29 PM
Quote from: bandmiller2 on August 28, 2014, 08:09:19 AM

So far we've not gone all out cowboy garb.  Just jeans,  long sleeve shirt,  cowboy hat and leather boots with plain soles. The minimum requirements.   I had to get suspenders to feel comfortable out of my bibs. 
We have aliases, as they are called.   I decided on Warden Callaway and Mary,  Sawmill Mary.

:D :D :D :D I wear bibs all the time at home and coveralls at work. I guess I never really notice because home and work are essentially two different lives for me. I change clothes and slip into a different setting. Sometimes the inbetween is a little strange with a bit of an adjustment period while traveling.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Bibbyman

http://youtu.be/GUIjhKs9UIM

Here is stage four of our stage building project.   I stated in the video we recut 7x9 ties to 6x6 but really we cut them to 6x8s.  The paneling was the off-all from the resizing.
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

http://youtu.be/RsR2cI-QLQM

The new stage was well received by the Cowboy Action Shooters.   Here they are.  Long on cowboy and shooting but a little short on action.

smiley_horserider
Sawing since '94

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Being a Western fan Bibby.....I got smiley_thumbsups to tell ya.....I love it!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bibbyman

Cowboy Action Shooting started out as an amusement from "three gun" shooting.  Guys got to talking (likely after more than a few cold ones) about what it would be like to shoot the targets using old-timely western guns. It was about the time the movie "The Wild Bunch" came out.  They apparently had fun and it lead to the founded SASS - Single Action Shooters Society.   It has grown to over 100,000 members all over the world. Probably some 30,000 active members. 

http://www.sassnet.com/

There are a number of other cowboy action shooting organizations with variations but SASS is the largest.   

Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!