iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Low Impact logging & milling in EG, Africa

Started by DGK, September 18, 2014, 05:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGK

A few images from last weekend. Locals logging & milling teak in Equatorial Guinea, Africa.

Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

Ianab

Imagine what those guys could do with a Peterson ATS in the jungle. If they are keen enough to mill freehand with an 090 and carry the boards out on their head , they could drag a swing blade in there with manpower and be just as low impact, but 10X as productive.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

qbilder

Quote from: Ianab on September 18, 2014, 06:13:19 AM
Imagine what those guys could do with a Peterson ATS in the jungle. If they are keen enough to mill freehand with an 090 and carry the boards out on their head , they could drag a swing blade in there with manpower and be just as low impact, but 10X as productive.

Ian

That actually wouldn't be a bad investment for somebody local.     
God bless our troops

js2743

and to sit here and think we need expensive mills to cut lumber, thats just amazing that guy has that skill.

sigidi

PNG and Solomons do a heap of that with Lucas Mills - not 100% sure but seem to recall it may be the biggest area Lucas supply.

Watched a doco once of a bloke with a donkey and a chainsaw. He'd go into the bush, camp overnight, hand cut boards with his chainsaw until his donkey wasfully loaded then bring everything out. Best part was how accurate his boards looked and he used charcoal from his fire with a string so he could mark out the boards...amazing what some people do to earn a crust...
Always willing to help - Allan

backwoods sawyer

You are so right js2743
My first thought was the other one looks like he done a heep of work packing those boards out ;D

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

logboy

Back when I was younger I did a bit of that with my Lucas. Carried the mill into the woods where you couldn't possibly get a machine to retrieve the logs. Sawed a couple thousand bdft then carried it all back out. I wouldn't want to do it every day, but it's doable. I'm pretty fond of my Lucas for its versatility.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

thecfarm

Looks like stickers in that first picture? That guy can saw!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!