iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yard full of southern yellow pine

Started by nlrwrangler, October 23, 2011, 10:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nlrwrangler

I want your opinion.  Yes I know prices vary by location and region.  How much would you give for SYP per tree or per bd foot for trees around a yard?  Yes I know you want pics and I will post some later this week.  These trees will be 12 to 20 inch dia at chest high.  I have no clue about how much metal will be in them.  I know that I have bought some SYP at .20 per bd foot locally.  But how do you plan/ figure for the possibility of metal in the trees.  I do have a buyer that is building a log house and so some could go his way and not be as big of an issue if there is metal in the log.  Your suggestions and help is greatly appreciated. 

paul case

If you have a market or a use for the lumber kinda tells you what you can pay for the log. Are they going to be delivered to your place or do you have to cut them down and fetch them home?
Here is how I do it.
IF I cut them down and haul them out I pay $.10 bdft.
If someone wants me to cut down trees in their yard that are close enough to fall on anything, I dont cut those.
If they show up at my mill with blue in the end of them I dont buy them. that would be metal in the wood.
If they show up at my mill and are good I pay $.25 bdft.
Doyle scale of course. All I can buy here is hardwoods mostly oak.

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Meadows Miller

Gday

If it was me and I was doing all the falling,moving,transporting and leaving the site tidy apart from the stump removal I would be doing it in exchange for the logs And that would be if it was going to be an easy removal job  ;) Remember you are working on their place and are liable for anything that can go wrong  ;) Ill add any complicated jobs then they start getting charged with me  ;) ;D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

zopi

Yeah...tree work prices for the removal and clean up...if you want the logs, you gottem...if I think they are valuable, I add a discount to the tree service bill..have made some happy customers that way...
But the guy that asked me for several hundred bucks for a little red oak...well...it is still laying there...went by the other day and offered to saw it, on my regular scale...no thanks...it will sell.
But I seldom, if ever buy logs outright.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

ellmoe

If they are truly "yard trees", few and close to buildings, someone , insured, should be paid to take them down. If it's a 10 acre "yard" with a couple of semi-loads then $5 to $10/ton. In between, free for the work. Cental Fla. prices.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Thank You Sponsors!