iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tajfun winch

Started by wiam, March 07, 2004, 06:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiam

I bought a new Tajfun egv40 A2 3 point winch this week.I have only pulled one hitch with it, but it worked well. Rated to pull 4 metric tons(8800 lbs).

Woodhog

Nice looking winch, I have 2 NORSE winches an older 400
series, around 9000 pounds I think, and a smaller one(367). I think its rated for about 8000 pounds.

I find both of them get a lot of foul turns on the drum, you start to walk thru 3 feet of snow, get about 25 feet of cable out and bang it comes tight and you have to wrap the end around a near by tree, go back to the tractor and give it a pull to get it rolling off the drum again...

I usually do up about 40-50 MFBM of spruce logs a year with them and find them quite aggrivating at times when this happens, also the cable will kink up sometimes...

The friction control to keep tension on the drum when free wheeling cable out seems to be a cheap arrangement on both Norse winches..

I wonder if anyone has had better luck with other brands of winches... (Farmi etc)

They can give you a good work out, much more than running a harvestor all day etc....

Good luck with your Tajfun and be careful with it, they have quite a few built in danger points to watch out for...

RSteiner

I have the smallest model Farmi winch, I trhink it is a JL290 supposed to hae around 6000 lbs. of line pull which I purchased new  over 25 years ago.  

I hear what you are saying about the cable getting stuck in the wrap now and then.  I find that if there is tension on the cable when you are reeling it back in there is less chance it will get stuck.  

Aslo, when the hitch you are pulling gets stuck on a stump or a tree stop pulling before the cable has a chance to become bound in the wrap.  There is a great tendency to try to pull the hitch off whatever it is stuck on somtimes you can be sucessful sometimes not.

The Farmi winch has a brass plug which rides on the drum to prevent free spooling.  Keeping this plug adjusted goes a long way in keeping the cable from getting stuck in a loose wrap.

90% of the time I can give the cable a couple of good jerks and it will free itself.  I bet the bigger the winch the tighter the cable gets stuck.

Randy
Randy

jokers

Those are good looking tire chains wiam. Are they made for tractors(where`d you get them?), or are they modified skidder chains?

Russ

wiam

Originally I do not know where they came from.  I bought them used  a couple years ago for $100 for the pair.  Thought I did ok.  That tractor with loaded tires in those chains will go almost anywhere in the snow.

William

Deerlope

Jokers
 I got a pair of those and they are modfied skidder chains. I don't use them any more cause I bought a smaller tractor. They will fit a 14x28 tire and I have extra rings so they can be made to fix up to a 38" tire. Also this is your lucky day cause they are for sale. we only live about 100 miles apart.
MS 230, MS 260, MS 361 Husky 576XP, Husky 390

jokers

Hi Deerlope,

I tried to PM you regarding the chains. I`m interested in knowing more.

Thanks, Russ

Deerlope

Russ
  Don't know why the PM would not go thru, but I have been the the sugarhouse for 12 to 14 hours a day for the last 15. This is the first chance that I have had to hit this site in many a day. The chains are the Bear paw skidder type, They are old but in good repair. On a tractor I don't think that I could ever wear them out. A year ago  I built up all the lugs on the rings so now they have a good 3/4" bit. Also they are heavy. You can E-mail me at Deerlope@twcny.rr.com.
  Fred
MS 230, MS 260, MS 361 Husky 576XP, Husky 390

Thank You Sponsors!