iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Central Machinery Planer

Started by wesdor, December 03, 2007, 11:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wesdor

A friend sent me a link to the Harbor  Freight site where I found the 10 inch planer for $200.

I have serious reservations about Harbor Freight materials, but wonder if anybody here can tell me if it is any good. 

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=41921

My purpose would be to plane less than 1,000 bf of lumber per year.  Most of it is 5/4 walnut or cherry and is  currently stickered in the shed and drying.  I don't have anything very wide, so this would be wide enough for me, but I'm thinking before spending $200 on equipment I should check here and see if there is anything better in the $200 - $300 range.

I'm in no hurry to purchase a planer, but know I need one in the next 6 months.  Any thoughts or observations would be greatly appreciated.

Radar67

"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

barbender

I bought a cheap china planer once, Tool Shop was the brand I think. I planed about 5 boards with it and then it started blowing out chunks of metal. So I returned that piece of garbage and got a Craftsman, which has been a good planer but the blades have to be special ordered as they have already discontinued that model. That's my main gripe with craftsman power tools, they are constantly changing them, making the one you just bought obsolete. Around here, the blades are readily available for the Dewalt and Rigid machines, I wish I had bought one of those instead. I think you can get those in the $350-400 range. hope this helps.
Too many irons in the fire

Kelvin

Howdy,
I'd go to ebay and buy a dewalt for that kind of money.  Find a model that has instant change knives unless you like setting blades.  You will go through a lot with those type of planers as when they aren't sharp they are really hard going.  Most blades have two sides anyhow.  Much easier than sending out to sharpen for $25!  Everything i've ever seen from harbor freight i can not believe anyone could make soooo bad!  I bought a set of wrenches for cheap, and they were so bad it looked like some villager cast them in a  sandbox with no idea of what size they were making.  Amazing!!!!  I would never waste my valuable time with anything they make.  Just me though... 
KP

wesdor

This is just another example of why this place is so great! 

I thought a planer from HF would be questionable but figured I should check with the experts.  You certainly have confirmed my suspicions. 

If I save a bit more, perhaps I will be able to afford a DeWalt.

Thanks everyone

wesdor

I just went to the site mentioned by Radar and found the Delta to be only $15 more expensive than the HF.  That is a pretty easy decision in my world.  After looking at the specs it is even more impressive - probably worth much more than a $15 premium.

Radar67

I've used one very similar to that one Wesdor. It does a very nice job, and easy to use as well.

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

jrokusek

I bought the 13" Ryobi from HD a few years ago.  Does an OK job but is really underpowered.  If you actually ran a 13" board through it the thing would probably stall.  If I had to do it again I'd look hard at the DeWalt.  What I REALLY want is a Woodmaster but that's out of my price range!

Radar67

The lady I'm helping out has a 12" Delta similar to the one in the link I posted. I ran several 12" wide 5/4 boards through to make stair treads out of. I took 1/16" each pass and the motor never bogged down. It is a nice little portable planner, especially for the price.

jbeat

Wesdor, I too am looking to purchase a planer. Keep in mind that the HF planer and some others have two knives while the Dewalt I"m considering has three. I think the knives would remain sharp longer on the three blade planers.
John B

wesdor

I looked at Lowe's yesterday and fell in love with the $500 Dewalt.  It looks so much better built than anything else they had on the shelves.  Next stop will be to look at some other places.  I'm in no hurry to purchase and so have the luxury of looking around and waiting for a sale.  Unfortunately $500 is beyond my price range (or at least what the boss will let me purchase)

The Delta that Radar mentioned is quite a distance above the HF and only a few $$ more.  I may end up with it, but want to look around at what is out there.

barbender

Another example of harbor frieght quality was a 2000 lb boat winch I bought. It might pull 2000 lbs if the clutch didn't slip at about 100 lbs. I even took it apart and roughed dder up the steel plate that rides on the clutch with a grinder trying to get it to hold, but it didn't work. What a piece of garbage.
Too many irons in the fire

solidwoods

Sell  kiln dried flooring @ X$ per sq'.
Purchase a table saw, planer, jointer, shaper, power feeder, T/G cutters.
Make/sell the flooring.
Keep/reuse the tools.

jim

-stay away from disposable tools, you'll want to use them for years to come.
-you have wood for a reason, too woodwork. There will be more.
-if your going to use disposable tools - use disposable lumber.
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Thank You Sponsors!