iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mystery tree from Florida

Started by leyvajd, September 17, 2015, 10:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leyvajd

Please help me identify this tree. I live in southwest Florida in the Tampa Bay area. I have two trees on my property that i or anyone I ask cannot identify. One got hit by a lightning and i had to cut it down. I like using the wood for grilling...I'm not sure that's a good idea since I dont know what it is. Please help.

Magicman

Hello leyvajd, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum. 

The experts will be along for identification, because it does not grow here.   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

Looks like a  Grevillea or Silky Oak. Native of Australia, but grown as an ornamental in all sorts of places.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grevillea_robusta

Not sure it it's that exact species, but if it's not, it's a close relative.

Flowers and seeds might give a more exact ID.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

mesquite buckeye

That's what I was thinking too. There are about a gozillion kinds, but I doubt there are more than a few grown in Florida. If you do google image and search Grevillea you are likely to see yours. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Texas Ranger

The flowers and fruit contain toxic hydrogen cyanide, from Ianab's post.

Be careful what your grilling with, would seem.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ianab

I don't think there is any problem with the wood, but go easy on the honey from them...
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!