iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First issue with the saw mill

Started by Rob30, May 14, 2019, 08:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob30

Broke a blade today on the woodland mill. I think it may have been getting dull and I pushed it too hard. Also having trouble setting the fluid drip for lube. Only about 10-15 hours on the blade. Any ideas on possible causes? I was only cutting softwood. The water drip is dripping on the stabilizer instead of the actual blade.
Also any idea on good sharpeners? I can not find anyone locally that sharpens blades.

Stephen1

It didn't break because it was dull, it broke because it was old in hours. The blades can only go around so many times. Soft wood -hard wood doesnt not really matter in N America.
I only run the blades 2 hrs of sawing time then time to resharpen. It is easier to resharpen if not completly dull. you can expect 500-1000 bd ft before a blade goes dull.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Rob30

10-15 hours is old? When we bought the machine we were told blades are good for 40 hours of cutting. Maybe that's in total. I have 10 blades, so that would only be 20 hours of cutting?

Chuck White

I agree, the blade had been run too long!

It's a lot like bending a piece of wire, it only bends just so many times and it will break!

Also, to save blade-life, I always disengage the blade before gigging back to the head of the mill, like it says in the book!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Southside

Yes 10-15 hours is too long, WAY too long. 500 BFT is a safe target to remove a band and sharpen it, you want to touch it up before it gets dull and develops gullet cracks. This will give you the longest band life. Think of it the same as rotating your tires, they last longer as a result.  Eventually all bands will fail due to flex life and the nature of steel. You did really well to get what you did out of that one. 

I probably average an hour or two at most. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

As the say, the band needs to undergo the sharpening and gullet grinding process every few hours of use.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Magicman

But it broke because it had been run dull.  Any amount of time running dull is too long.  I generally change my blade at noon (4-5 hrs) but occasionally it is mid morning meaning that I will use 3-4 blades during the day.  I suppose that the blades get 5-6+ resharpens before they are rejected.  I say "suppose" because the number of resharpens is an item that does not concern me.  Blades are like diesel, they are expendable and simply an item that is necessary to saw. 

The less dull a blade is when it is removed, the more resharpens it will take and the longer it will last.  Dulling a blade is a blade killer.  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

Sharpening does 2 things. 

1) It lets the blade cut with much less stress.  
2) It removes little cracks in the gullet (if the full profile is sharpened) which combined with stress will break the blade. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Rob30

Thanks everyone, guess a sharpener is the next purchase.

Thank You Sponsors!