iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a truck garage?

Started by Woodhauler, April 07, 2014, 01:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Quote from: repmma on May 01, 2014, 06:22:32 AM
Who do you have doing the groundwork and concrete if you dont mind me asking?  I'm right beside you in freedom and looking to put up a 34 x 46 garage this year.  Ive been debating about the frost wall deal myself but think im going to go with a slab 6" with 12" outside as suggested by some contractors to support the 2' knee wall around the perimeter like yourself.  Doors, two 10x10's on the side and a 10x14 in the center, but i'm wondering if i shouldnt go 12x14 in the center bay... i dont suspect to have much big/tall equipment, just my forwarding trailer... but i'm building for the unknowns as well.
Got 2 quotes on groundwork, all local guys and priced about the same. Ellis in swanville, Larrabe in Knox, And Snowstorm on here. Concrete will be done by Smiths concrete in Newburgh.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Woodhauler

All building materials are coming from Buxtons in Monroe maine, Beat all prices , even metal price too!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

xalexjx

make sure if you go radiant you insulate under the slab
Logging and Processed Firewood

LittleJohn

Quote from: xalexjx on May 02, 2014, 06:45:15 AM
make sure if you go radiant you insulate under the slab

Also insulate perimeter, would for you to have to pull out the lawnmower in February cause the grass in green and growing to high.

Holmes

If you decide to radiant heat . Use 3/4 or 1" tubing 350' max length per circuit. It has more surface area and less flow restriction, 6 to 8 circuits.  Tie the tubing down WELL with slightly tight wire ties [ties used for rebar or Upinor sells a lighter grade wire tire that works excellent]. Do not use the zip ties, they will break when the cement is poured if the cement is poured with a machine.  You could do the radiant tubing yourself if you want to just make sure you have it properly designed and follow the design.
Think like a farmer.

Woodhauler

Concrete is all poured, 2 ft walls on top. Did 10 loops of 1 inch pexs heat. They are around 200-215 ft long. Nail pounding starts tommorow.Stayed 40X60 with 2 14X14 doors. 8)

LittleJohn

10 loops of 1" PEX  :o

You don't have to worry about restrictions in that system!! 
What size is the manifold/feeder line?

ga jones

U may have trouble keeping enough BTUs in 1 inch. 1/2 inch is what is recommended. You will need a 2 inch main and manifold.not to mention pumps!
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Woodhauler

Quote from: Woodhauler on May 28, 2014, 09:15:06 PM
Concrete is all poured, 2 ft walls on top. Did 10 loops of 1 inch pexs heat. They are around 200-215 ft long. Nail pounding starts tommorow.Stayed 40X60 with 2 14X14 doors. 8)
I ment to say 1/2 inch! You would need a jet airplane motor to heat 1 inch pex.

LittleJohn

That's good to hear 1/2"; cause 1" is more like a SNOWMELT application, which would not be bad (if designed right), but MAN the PUMP would have to be MONSTEROUS

Woodhauler

Should i put sealer on my garage floor? It was finished to a smooth surface.

ga jones

That may be personal preference. It does wear off. I didn't like it. I Worked in a shop with it for about 5 years in the 90s.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

CTL logger

Quote from: Woodhauler on May 30, 2014, 08:50:38 PM
Should i put sealer on my garage floor? It was finished to a smooth surface.
I would salt from your truck will be hard on the concrete I put two coats on mine it wears off where the truck sits. It's also easier to clean and less dust when you sweep, as much as you have invested in the floor I'd protect it with sealer.

Peter Drouin

It will be more slippery when wet.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

rick f

I'd seal it , I did mine so the oils and spills won't soak in as much. also it is a lot easyer to sweep with less dust.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

Woodhauler

FOR the price i have in the slab, and the cost of sealer, i guess i will do it when it is all up!

CTL logger

I used chem masters  poly seal A my concrete guy recommended it has a high amount of solids its a little pricey but seems to last a long time.

1270d

have you considered an epoxy paint for your floor?  makes it much easier to clean when you drop that oil filter etc.

Woodhauler

Got a day and a half in pounding nails, I would lots rather be hauling wood!!!  But the reward at the end will be nice! Me and my 71 yr old uncle will have half of it framed as of tommorow. He will be working on his own next wek building sections of wall and when i get home we willl stand them with the truck.

Thank You Sponsors!