iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidder question and a question about Clark skidder

Started by ohiowoodchuck, March 07, 2016, 08:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiowoodchuck

Question number one is what brand of small skidder has the most parts availability. Size range I'm talking about is 440 size. Another question I have is what all is involved rebuilding the torque convertor on a Clark 666. What is the cost estimate. I would be doing it myself just curious about parts avalibilaty and cost.
Education is the best defense against the media.

oldseabee

There are two main sources for Clark C270 converter parts 666 skidder up to 666D used the C272 converter, some Clark Michigan small/medium size Wheel loaders also used that converter also, although most Wheel loaders used the C273 version, the 2 or 3 relates to the size of  the turbine and impeller 2= 12" diameter 3= 13" diameter, size does  matter when matching the type and torque curve of the engine along with the application, a skidder uses most of  the engine power for tractive effort while the wheel loader uses more for hydraulic systems. the clark skidder with the Clark winch has the clutch regulator valve set at 240/280 PSI with the gearmatic it is 180/220 PSI that valve is mounted on the converter.
Skidder parts supported by alliedsystems.com wheel loader parts supported by minnpar.com.

ohiowoodchuck

What does a 666 weight. I found one four hours away and it says 4cyl Detroit runs but needs torque convertor. I'm looking for a firewood skidder not sure if it's to big for that. It seems priced right but you always get what you pay for and the thought of not seeing it move scares me.

oldseabee

All I have for a weight is 666C, cable  18560, grapple22130. Earlier 666 would be a little lighter by maybe 1500 lbs. Are you looking at a cable or grapple?

ohiowoodchuck

rockwall

I have a 664B with 353 Detroit and really like it for my part time logging. I seem to be able to find parts. I just had my torque converter rebuilt by a mechanic. I will check on prices. I decided to pull the motor rather than take converter out separately. It was slick and I would do it again that way. While the motor was out I was able to clean out under motor, change cables, new fiber gear, new rear main seal and rebuild converter.

oldseabee

Way too many torque converters are rebuilt because the engine isn't making the RPM that the converter needs to do it's job. Converters are RPM sensitive, check stall speed. Detroits have to be set up right to make the required stall speed.

ohiowoodchuck

I've never messed with Detroit, I have Cummins and a lot of different farm tractors. I'm assuming the first test would be to check the rpm of the engine like you say. I have a tool where I can put a piece of reflective tape on the balancer and shoot it with a laser to get rpm. Would you check it at wide open throttle or a certain rpm before you get movement out of the torque convertor. I do know a good mechanic who has a lot of experience with the Detroits in semis from back in the day. I'm sure I could have him help me setting the engine if needed.

treeslayer2003

wood chuck its the loaded rpm that matters. only a good detroit guy can set the rack and governor right. if you go try it out, run it up against a big tree with the foot board out and floored. if it stalls and shaft between the converter and trans stops with out spinning the tires, i bet it needs tuning.
666 is a little bigger than a 540 class deere weight wise but not bigger as far as width.

ohiowoodchuck

I will try to get some details tonight of what's actually going on. It's four hours away from me. I don't think I can legally haul it with my 20,000lb gooseneck. I wouldn't be afraid to around my hometown but crossing state line and dot makes me a little nervous. I got a buddy who has a trucking company and a flat bed who I can get to haul it and I have a guy who I have used to hot shot stuff for me in the past who has a bigger gooseneck that I could use. How could I test anything though if it won't move.

oldseabee

To read stall speed, both the trans and hydraulic oil (cable main relief 1600PSI) have to be up to operating temp. you can get the oils hot by stalling out the machine partially. put trans in high travel range then bottom out the blade raise lever at about 1800 RPM with the machine up against a stout stump, only hold in stall for about 30 seconds then let trans and hydraulics go back to neutral for 30 seconds, keep this cycle going until the oils are hot. when oil is hot go to full throttle trans stall,then add full throttle hydraulic, stall RPM on 453 should read 1920-2080 RPM. If you can't achieve correct stall speed the engine isn't getting the job done that's where the problem is, unless the converter is making strange noises or not driving the pumps thst is a problem, there is a fiber drive gear between the converter and the engine that can fail and you won't have any hydraulics or trans.

treeslayer2003

like seabee said, i bet on drive gear if it won't steer or any thing. if all the hydraulics work but won't move at all........problems.

doug olsen

Oldseabee has pretty much nailed it. I was a field service mech for a Clark dealer for way to may years and worked on hundreds of skidders. Without getting into a lot of details.... torque/trans, pressure readings have to be taken to determine where the problem is, as well as engine RPM at hi idle and trans/hyd. stall. Actually few torques have to be rebuilt. unless they have been severely overheated and the seals hardened, there is not much to go wrong with then....however, the aluminum charge pumps were not the best and could not deal with dirty oil for very long,,,,this is where the charge (converter in) pressure is so important. In fact a new pump will even compensate for torque deficiencies for a while by supplying extra oil covering internal leakage. If your torque output shaft turns during the stall test then you have trans clutch slippage....I could go on.....but.....Hope this didn't muddy your waters..
LT 15/portable trlr., 580 Case hoe/thumb, JD 570 Skidsteer (bkn.) 500 Rubicon quad

ohiowoodchuck

It all makes perfect sense to me and understand what you guys are saying. How's the parts availability for these machines. I spoke to a buddy a couple days ago, he has been in the forestry equipment and cut timber years ago. He told me to stick with John Deere or timber jack. He did also try to sell me a new tigercat.

oldseabee

You will find a lot of TJ power shift skidders use Clark transmissions and converters.

Thank You Sponsors!