iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cbn wheel for cooks supersharp

Started by Chaser357, November 01, 2018, 02:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaser357

I went ahead and ordered a bms250 sharpener and bmt setter from woodmizer while they were on sale.   I have only two types of blades which are the WM turbo 7 and the cooks supersharp.   I ordered the turbo 7 wheel from woodmizer but am looking for a source for a wheel to sharpen all the cooks blades I have. 
Thanks.   

PAmizerman

@Cutting Edge might know where to get them. Not sure but worth a try.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

gmmills

To my knowledge, there is not a cbn wheel commercially available for the Super Sharp profile.  You could have one custom made. There are wheel manufactures that will do this.  Usually too pricey to do so in small quantities. 
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

Chaser357

That's kinda what I figured.   So does anybody know how big of a deal it would be to reprofile the cooks blades with the turbo 7 wheel?    I've never used a sharpener before so this is all gonna be new to me.  I don't want to destroy the wheel trying to sharpen the cooks blades if I would grind most of the blade away anyway.   I probably have 60 to 70 cooks blades.   

terrifictimbersllc

Hold the turbo wheel up to the super sharp and see how much metal has to give.  

Personally I would send the super sharp ones in for sharpening if I had a good option to do this.  

A new turbo wheel is $140, factor that into the cost equation. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

jimbarry

I own WM's sharpener and setter. If you are looking to re-profile blades to match WM's profiles, it a slow process if you do not want to prematurely wear the CBN wheel. You'll want to make at least 2 light passes, making sure you at least hit the tooth to sharpen it. Then use the blade, sharpen and repeat. All in hopes that while not cleaning the entire profile of the tooth that no cracks develop. The sharpener comes with a 6 sided profile guide. Use it to get the closest profile to your Cook blades. Then order a CBN wheel of that profile. Or, likes been said already, send a sample of Cook blade to a manufacturer and have them make a CBN wheel based on your specs. Usually you can get one for less than $100 if you look over China way.

Chaser357

I don't have the wheel yet so I can't check it till it comes in.   Woodmizer said it would be three to four weeks before my sharpener and wheel gets here.  I have been in contact with cooks though and they are looking into it to see if they can come up with a wheel.  They said it might be towards the middle of next week and they would get back with me on what they come up with.  They are very helpful.   I will post back with what they say in case others are interested.   

Chaser357

Btw thanks for all the responses.   

bandmiller2

With a CBN grinder your best to stick to one tooth form. I don't own a CBN machine but if I were to reconfigure other brands of bands to the CBN wheel I would start with a regular grinding wheel shaped to copy the CBN profile to take off the bulk of the material then switch to CBN. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

JB Griffin

Cbn grinders have magnetic filters and wouldn't catch the ao dust, also oil would soften most ao wheels to the point they would be a completly different profile in just a couple of teeth.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

terrifictimbersllc

I was going to say if you do this with a CBN grinder don't have the oil in it. 
I wouldn't want all that wheel dust all over my new grinder though. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!