iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

advice on purchasing a sawmill

Started by Illinoisoak, July 22, 2009, 01:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Illinoisoak

I've been looking at both the lt10/lt15 and timberking1220.  I've gotten literature and dvd's from both companies.  each sawmill seems like a good product.  I'm looking to start out to build a 25x25 woodshed for my central boiler I just bought last year.  I've considered buying a logsplitter and I've wondered if one of these sawmills could also replace a logsplitter.  not looking to spend a lot just because I don't know how much time I would have to use the sawmill due to my jobs (full time job and army reserve) family.  Any advice or suggestions.  Thanks

KyTreeFarmer

Illinoisoak........Welcome to the forum!!  Read through the older postings and you will find tons of opinions on all kinds of mills. Really depends on what you will use it for. My mill is strictly hobby work, I am cutting wood to use in my woodworking shop. The 1220 was at the top of my list, Cook's Hobby mill second. I ended up with an LT15 that I found on Craig's list at a good price. I like it because it has a heavier built frame than the hobby mills. Look around for a mill to visit and you will learn what you like or dislike. I never thought about it but you could saw logs into chunks for firewood, but why waste all that good lumber? Anyway once the sawdust bug bites you will never be the same. Good luck with your decision.

Mike
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

MartyParsons

I sometimes get tired of loading the log splitter and use the mill to cut the log  4 or 6 ways and then use the chain saw to cut to length.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Ironwood

I have an old Oliver 36" bandsaw from the local pattern shop when it closed. It is my "outdoor saw" :D, it sits just under the loading dock roof and can cut just about anything, It has the fastest cycle time of any "splitter" I have ever used, even a Supersplit (momentum wheel splitter) :)

I would look into Norwood also (in addtion to the LT15). I found mine used and reasonable.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

SamB

Iillinoisoak,
Welcome to the forum, here's a previous thread that might interest you
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,37802.0.html
The firewood accumulates pretty fast if you do much sawing and like burning slabs. Not much of it will require splitting.

Illinoisoak

Thanks for the advice.  I just want to get the most out of a mill when I buy one.  It would have been hard to convince the wife to buy a mill only just to make lumber for our future building projects.  Now I got some ammo in my pouch when I approach her that I would not have to buy a logsplitter (one night she tried spiltting some oak with my 8lb maul and told me I needed to buy a logsplitter so I don't get hurt) I would have hated to also buy a logsplitter and not used it. 

Bibbyman

Welcome to the Forum!   8)

It took me six months to talk Mary into buying a mill.  That was over 15 years ago.  The only problem I had was six months after we got the mill and she saw we could make money with it,  she quit her job!

One other part of the equation to think about;  resale value. 

I'll bet if you get a small mill,  you'll find it either something that wasn't going to work well for you and you'll want to divest it and go another direction.  Or it'll work out better than you expected and you'll soon outgrow a small mill and want one that will be more productive and have more features. 

Wood-Mizer is a well known and respected brand and tends to hold their resale value very well.  They will also take trade-ins of their mills on a new, and bigger mill.  But you would probably be able to get more by selling the mill yourself and buying an upgrade. 

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

zopi

Can't speak to the timberking...never seen one, I hear they are good mills...

If you go woodmizer, spend the extra dollars and get an LT-15 at least...I have one and love it, but as with other toys, I want a bigger oe almost immediately...look around at used mills too, if you have the $$ there are alot of smoking deals on older/used LT 28/30 and 40's...WM's are built to last
and they support parts and service very well...ask pretty much anybody here...there are some truly accomplished folks on here who have been running them for years...

and no, I don't work for WM....yet...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Puffergas

I started with a circle saw in 1987 and later a home made band saw. I just updated to a Burg and love it. I'm sure I'll never trade it in but will always add stuff to it. So in other words I like a new well built and affordable mill for my foundation. Later I just keep adding what ever goodies (homemade) that I want.

Good luck ! ! !
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

WDH

Think carefully about why you want a sawmill.  If it is to just cut little wood occasionally for yourself, or for one main project, you can go the budget route.  If you plan to do any significant sawing, go with the LT15 or bigger.  The LT15 is one fine machine for the money.  There is nothing that you can't do with it except churn out thousands of feet a day.  You can do 1000 feet a day with a helper and 500 feet a day by yourself if you are willing to work your fanny off.  For the money, I think that it is the best designed small manual mill on the market. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

farmboy1tn

the forestry forum is is a great bunch of people and they will always do there best to help all that need help or suport.

Thank You Sponsors!