iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Material for under posts

Started by glen_h, November 05, 2018, 11:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glen_h

Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations for what to put under my posts and they will be on patio stones (not the best but ...).  I hope to be hoisting a 10x12' timber frame Gazebo this weekend and the 4 posts are 8x8" white cedar.

I'm concerned about:

• rot due to soaking up the rain (from the ground)
  • to help spread out the load
  • to protect the patio stones from damage

I've read about people using metal washers to add a bit of space to keep the post elevated a bit off the ground but I'm concerned they might damage the patio stones or possibly rust.  Costco is selling garage mats that are made from recycled tire rubber(?) and are about 1/2" thick.  If the bottom is sealed by the rubber will that cause an issue since water can't run out the bottom of the post?  Also, how to attach the rubber (or whatever) to the bottom of the post?  Galvanized outdoor wood screws?

The patio foundation is 18" of crushed stones (compacted) with 2 1/2" (?) patio stones.  Currently I don't have a great plan for how to anchor the gazebo to the ground but I was hoping to do it after it is raised.

Glen

Don P

Correctly you would remove or saw thru the patio stone and pour a footing. In that pour you could put something like a Simpson post base with a ~1" thick plastic standoff. They have one with a hidden knife plate that works well.

mike_belben

A big square hunk of concrete (or poured chair.  They sell forms for this at the big box) with a redhead anchor pounded into center standing proud, then an asphalt shingle, then a post with a mating hole bored in center over it.  

I motor oil the grain of butt ends to keep termites from eating it up.  The shingle is a cheap moisture barrier to keep post from wicking it out of the block. Grit side down.  
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!