iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Contrarotating saws for processor? Or?

Started by Satamax, February 21, 2019, 09:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi everybody. 

Well, i'm on the path to build myself a processor.  I have a monstrous ram and H beam. Ram is from chairlift tensioning. Beam from the same source. 30cm x 30cm HEB. IIRC. It's under the snow for the moment. 

But i'm wondering about the saw. 

I have friends, who have a small processor, with the "table" or carriage, may be you could call it, which has arms pivots near the ground,  and raises at waist height. you put the log on that, on boat rollers, more or less, push the log in to the stop, push the whole carriage backwards, to feed the log into the saw.  Which then falls into the splitter, and then repeat. 

Only problem with this, is the log size is 10 inch diameter, max. 

To be on the cheap side. Saving euros on the blades. As big saws blades cost an arm and a leg.  I thought about using two circular saw arbors. A bit like this. 

The two saws here turn the same way. I'm wondering if this could be done, for cutting logs. As i see it, if a saw binds in the log, and the other one does too. The log could be spinning in short order. 

Or i could do two contra rotating saws. But that adds complexity. It's no more two belts to the saw arbors. 

What do you reckon? Should i bother?  Or just kiss, and keep the saws running the same way? 

Thanks a lot guys. 

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Thank You Sponsors!