iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best Chain File, Single Cut or Double Cut

Started by Dixiebonsai, August 19, 2015, 08:42:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

Regarding Stihl tools which generally speaking are good however costly .If I'm not mistaken some were made by Wiha

lxskllr

Quote from: Al_Smith on March 09, 2019, 05:44:57 PM
Regarding Stihl tools which generally speaking are good however costly .If I'm not mistaken some were made by Wiha
I think their axes are Ochsenkopf

John Mc

Quote from: lxskllr on March 09, 2019, 05:54:42 PM
Quote from: Al_Smith on March 09, 2019, 05:44:57 PM
I think their axes are Ochsenkopf
Yes, my Stihl Pro Splitting Hatchet has Ochsenkopf stamped into the head. It holds an edge nicely.
It does sometimes actually get used for splitting kindling, but my main use has been driving felling wedges. I have a Grizzly Peak holster for it that carries it nicely on my tool belt.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Al_Smith

I'd odd in many ways .I don't drive wedges with either an axe nor a hatchet .I use a 4 pound dead blow hammer. I've got a 5 gallon bucket I carry that stuff in .Axes in my opinion  are good wood splitters but poor hammers .I've ruined more nylon wedges trying them out as a hammer . 

moodnacreek

Some times your favorite brand of files lets you down. I am told that a tiny problem with the heat treatment will cause this.

Tom King

Having had problems in the past with things that I like getting replaced by cheaper, I stocked up on Pferd files back in 1999, and still have a few boxes of each left.  Sorry, none for sale.

John Mc

Quote from: Al_Smith on March 10, 2019, 09:20:06 AM
I'd odd in many ways .I don't drive wedges with either an axe nor a hatchet .I use a 4 pound dead blow hammer. I've got a 5 gallon bucket I carry that stuff in .Axes in my opinion  are good wood splitters but poor hammers .I've ruined more nylon wedges trying them out as a hammer .
Depends on the Ax. This one has worked fine for me. The weight is just right, I like the handle length and the poll has a nice shape for striking. I have others that I would never use in this application.
Prior to this I used something that looked a bit like a drilling hammer (3 or 4 lbs head with a 1 foot handle). I decided I wanted something with a longer handle: the short handle took more effort and was a pain on trees that needed more "persuasion".

When I don't have the ax at hand, I just cut myself a club from a handy size of a heavy wood species.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!