iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

erc finishes

Started by fishman, September 05, 2007, 11:25:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishman

my wife has been building all sorts of goodies with my scrap cedar, and is looking for the best finish to preserve the natural color as much as possible, :P   all inside stuff,  thanks

Haytrader

Try the search as this has been covered before.

We use Minwax poly.
Haytrader

thedeeredude

I prefer natural oils, tung or boiled linseed.

brdmkr

I got to go with the tung oil finish myself.  However, poly can't be beat if it will see a lot of service (glasses, plates, etc.).
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Furby

I'm not aware of any product that will actually preserve the color, some will delay the color change though.

Larry

fishman, I talked to a couple that make cedar tables and benches last year at the War Eagle craft show.  They said to use a stain to brighten the natural color than your top coat of choice...they used a Minwax product.  The stain was the secret to keeping the colors.

They were a little secretive...understandable.  They were also getting a lot of nice comments from the crowd on there work.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Dale Hatfield

I was told by an old carver no longer with us that a lacquer(Sp.)finish will hold its color. I use Deft stinks very much bad.
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

turningfool

if you use boiled linseed,burn the rags its wiped on with immediately(in my opinion at least) as spontaineous combustion can occur :o

Haytrader

Hey Larry,

Did you go to Warr eagle this year?
We did. Met some good wood craftsmen and told them all about the FF. Hope they join.

Haytrader
Haytrader

Tony

Quote from: turningfool on October 22, 2007, 11:02:52 AM
if you use boiled linseed,burn the rags its wiped on with immediately(in my opinion at least) as spontaineous combustion can occur :o

I almost burned my shop down because of this very thing  :o :o

Tony
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

Larry

Haytrader, your in trouble now for not stopping by...were only off Hwy 412 about a 1/2 mile. :'(

I didn't get to War Eagle this year.  The boss kept me far to busy...she had a tent set up on the road to War Eagle.  I was also busy helping a friend at the Bella Vista show...cleaning up the mess after the storm blew his tent down Thursday night.

There is a cottage industry success story that exhibits at War Eagle.  Pension Mountain Woodworks...they make the cedar thumbdrums.  There product is now being sold through Lee Valley which I think is an honor in itself.  I know you and the misses would be interested in there story...hope ya had a chance to talk with them.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

fishman

we didn't make war eagle this year , decided since the ole applegate fair had moved to 15 miles north, we would go there, wow, they lost 95% of the vendors, wasn't even a large yard sale size

Haytrader

::)

What did she have in her tent?
We may have stopped.... :-[
We went to Bella Vista too.

I literally got out of a truck and laid the seat back in the Tahoe @ four in the morning so I didn't have time to locate FF members and make a list. AND, I knew I was going close to some.
My loss.
Haytrader

Thank You Sponsors!