Costs for low impact selective cutting

Started by Leo Lancer 5738, February 13, 2016, 09:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Corley5 on February 16, 2016, 09:23:50 AM
Oh ya  ;D :)
My wife rides behind my seat sometimes, didn't happen to tell her about that happening. She wasn't too happy.  :D

Corley5

They hit hard.  Makes you duck inside the cab ;D 

Leo Lancer 5738

Everybody on the crew has to be employhed by the company bidding.  Instruction said no subs unfortunately. I see the wisdom behind not using tractor.  Walked most of the tract and have a decent feel for it.  Would spend too much time trying to get around in therre. The numbers put out here are more in line than what I was thinking concerning crew progress.  The contract will only allow small tractor, specifically states no skidders or feller/bunchers.  Think we will use ATV's to pull hangers down. Tight canopy but mostly small trees (12" or less).  Seems to be only removing about 30% of the basal area of the ash.  Seems a waste of money but why not take advantage??? Some areas have high concertration of cull trees where some roads could be laid out but most trees scattered. Not worth the effort except for good sawlogs??  More wet than I thought though. :laugh:

finding the trail

24 stems per acre, 4 acres per day per man, $100.00 per acre is probably high. 

Corley5

Sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

thecfarm

I have never worked a ATV in the woods. BUT I would not want to hook onto a 12 inch tree with a ATV and try to pull it down. while trying to make money at it.I have a 40 hp tractor with a 3 point winch and that keeps me out of harm's way when pulling a hung tree down.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

It also sounds like every tree hugging environmentalist in a 200 mile radius would be looking over your shoulder.

chevytaHOE5674

Sounds like a job I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on February 16, 2016, 07:53:30 PM
Sounds like a job I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.
Cutting dead Ash by hand raises the price up, pulling down with an ATV sounds like a great way to get killed. Unless there was a big bag of money to be made I wouldn't even give them a price.  How many of you guys get calls from landowners just feeling out / not happy with other guys bids ??? I'm sick of wasting time walking lots for nothing, everyone thinks a woodlot is an ATM.

finding the trail

BargeMonkey,  You know what happens the one time you don't look.

CCC4

Please don't use a 4 wheeler to pull hung timber down...it is just not advisable. Any bidding should allow clearance trees to be cut. ATV's just don't have enough weight and are for sure not designed to pull down timber. I have skid ERC with 4 wheelers back in the day...but you better be a good pilot and have your rig weighted properly in the front...not to mention you will trash your ATV in the long run.

Any pics of said "tight canopy"? Run minimal cutters, figure out a day rate and go with it or walk away...I would be on the fence with this job.

OntarioAl

I have read the original OP post and his continuing commentary several times to get this contract job straight in my mind and I have formulated an opinion.
This contract can only be done safely with mechanical equipment like Bargemonkey's, unfortunately your hands are tied by the constraints put on the contract by the landowner(s).
The reason being that  continuous hand falling in closed canopy conditions  is the most exacting of cutter expertise and hence the most dangerous  therefore it is not a matter of if you will have a serious accident but when.
Pass on this job it is not worth it at any price.
Al
Al Raman

Leo Lancer 5738

Thanks to everyone for all the help/advise. Put bid in. This could lead to several other jobs in the future. Will keep everyone up to date OK progress.

Leo Lancer 5738

Well. The contact was put on hold. Lots of work for nothing. Trees all marked so I hope in the future it will open for bid again

finding the trail

Sorry to hear you didn't get the bid.  Sounds like the forester/landowner had expectations below the actual cost of doing the work.  It's just business, keep your chin up and move forward.

finding the trail

I might add that the opportunity still exists.   Communicate with the landowner and his agent and get a feel for what their expectations are. Often you can pick up jobs such as this at a negotiated price.  Good Luck

brianJ

Sounds like they dont understand the costs of business.  You already have done all the inspection work.  So should be quick to  give them another estimate and this one being least cost using your most efficent methods and equipment.   

@cutterclimber.    I think you are working too cheap plus paying all your expenses.   That's why a shrewd businessman like BargeMonkey wants to hire you.

Thank You Sponsors!