iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying Logs

Started by logger79, July 07, 2013, 10:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logger79

I am new to sawmilling and want to get more into sawing and do less logging. I want to start buying logs from other loggers and am wanting some ideas of what others have done to get loggers to sell them logs. The loggers I have talked to want to stick with who they are currently selling to. Thought about putting some ads in papers, offering to pick up logs?  I am most interested in low grade tie and pallet logs.

Bibbyman

We've found it a real challenge to get what we need when we need it. Loggers tend to want to bring whatever they have when they have it.  Our logger actually encouraged us to saw RR ties but brought us only junk.

I suspect an ad in the paper will bring you only misery.  Everybody with a tree problem will be calling wanting you to pay them and take the problem tree off their hands.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

red oaks lumber

unless you buy truckloads every week, most loggers wont give you the time of day.however if you are willing to pay more for logs you will get logs.
when i started, i struggled trying to buy logs. once i started getting to know a few loggers it was eaiser getting logs.
2 things that will help you. 1)  scale logs heavy to the loggers favor. 2) pay the day they drop off logs.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

dboyt

Most states have an association (in Missouri, it's the Missouri Forest Products Association).  Most loggers are members.  Check with the association in your state.  There's a good chance that you can find an independent logger in your area.  Payment on delivery is good, but be prepared to scale the logs yourself.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

WoodenHead

Around here many loggers have focussed more on the firewood market to stay alive.  I have one logging friend who finds and cuts bush primarily for firewood.  If there happens to be better quality trees it is in both our interests for him to sell the better stuff to me.   ;D  My friend also has connections to other loggers who have helped me out from time to time.

I also tried once to advertise locally for logs.  I had one person respond, but I have yet to see a log from him.  Some of my clients have also offered their trees.  Unfortunately they usually expect that I can floor their entire house from one cherry tree.   ::)

logger79

Thanks for the replies guys. I plan on contacting several more loggers in the next few weeks. I have no problem taking up the logs as they are delivered and paying then. I can pay more for pallet logs than the big mills around but tie logs are in such high demand I can only match their price for the most part. Except for mixed wood ties I may be able to pay a little more for those than some of the big mills.

drobertson

Being able to unload in a timely manor is also a factor,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

barbender

If they can get rid of all of their wood at the big mill, why would they go out of their way to bring you something? Most big mills have the equipment to unload trucks in a timely fashion and pay regularly. If you log as well as sawmill, you probably know the answer to your own question. You have to make it worth their while, not to mention finding a producer that understands what wood you are looking for.
Too many irons in the fire

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Bibbyman on July 07, 2013, 10:50:37 AM

I suspect an ad in the paper will bring you only misery.  Everybody with a tree problem will be calling wanting you to pay them and take the problem tree off their hands.

smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

T Welsh

I buy and sell! The only thing that will make a difference is money! If I pay more than the local mill,I will get logs set aside for me. That goes for the other side in selling, if I price myself over what local mills are selling, I do not have a sale. Its all about knowing the market at the time. Tim

bandmiller2

Logger you didn't say were your from.If your near suburban areas contact tree service companys that remove trees for hire they make their money removing, and chip everything they can.The big stuff they have to get rid of, around here they have to pay to dump millable logs.Yes there will be some hardwear but its manageable.Most are decent guys and if you cut them some will gladly drop off decent logs.Big mills want nothing to do with yard trees. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Peter Drouin

Knowing your market is everything. :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

barbender

I didn't mean to sound negative in my previous post, but I don't think you'll get much interest if you are trying to pay the same as the big mills, unless someone has more wood than they can get rid of or something. For example, I work for a large logging outfit, and I see beautiful wood going for pallets and other low grade uses often. And I usually just let them go, when I try to buy a load things things seem to get complicated. In fact, I set aside a load of Bur Oak this April, who knows what happened to it, it may still be sitting in the woods.
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

In my area the sawmill company inspects, bids on, and buys the timber tract.  The loggers contract with the buyer to harvest and haul the timber/logs to the sawmill.  The sawmill companies have regular established "harvesters" that they rely on.  The logger is simply a middleman who is transporting and delivering a product.  Our log trucks do not have loading or unloading capabilities.  They are loaded at the cut site and unloaded at the sawmill.

I do not buy logs or sell lumber, but getting free logs has never been a problem when I need lumber for myself.  (I was contacted today about a freshly lightening struck SYP.)  When I am given logs and do not need lumber, they are hauled to the next customer that needs logs/lumber and I am paid for sawing them.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

I struggled to get logs for awhile, but now have several loggers who know I will pay a little extra for the high grade logs
Quote from: barbender on July 07, 2013, 09:52:09 PM
I see beautiful wood going for pallets and other low grade uses often.

They will set them aside and when they get a few stacked up, they call me and we agree on a price that makes it worth their while and they deliver them on their off time, last load of the day, on Saturday, etc.

These relationships start by being pro-active such as whenever I see a small to medium size logging outfit working, I arrange to drop in and talk to the foreman, who is generally the owner.  Since they are in business to make money, I point to a stack of logs, ask how much to buy and have them delivered, we kick the gravel a little then usually (sometimes) make a deal that's good for both of us. 

YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

captain_crunch

around these parts loggers are contracted to mill and have no say about logs
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Brucer

I buy my logs from the mill -- in this case a plant that makes plywood veneer. They buy premium logs for their own use, but will set aside a load or 3 for me (and mark them up something fierce). My best years production would only consume 1 shift of their production so it's not like I'm cutting into their supply.

Paying immediately makes a huge difference once you've got your foot in the door. Getting the truck unloaded in a hurry also helps a lot. In my case the load comes on a self-loader, but I'm always ready for the guy so he's in and out in 20 minutes or less.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

stavebuyer

You may be able to buy some tie and flooring logs from the "big mill". We do quite a bit of log trading with some of our competitors.  Helps if you can supply them a few logs in return.

EZland

I would contact a tree service.  They cut a lot of logs that that the big mills do not want or need, mostly becasue tthey are too short in lenght.  I saw with a friend that gets tree service logs dumped on his property.  We cull out the good logs for lumber and the trash for firewood.  He sells the firewood and we split the lumber. 

The other way is to find storm damage trees.  Still in a logging area, but could be worth it. 

I will warn you, if you get logs from a tree service they some times can have metal in them, so use a metal detector....... but if they are free, why not try. 
EZ Boardwalk Jr. 30", Husky 455, Kioti 5010 w, FEL , And I just moved to Ohio.and still looking for logs.

God is great!  I will never be as good as the "Carpenter's Son"

logger79

Lots of good advice guys. There are very few loggers around here that do only contract logging. (Middle Tn) I can buy some pallet logs from big mills but good luck getting any ties. Some big mills are marking tie log prices up to prevent people like me from getting them. I am wanting to go pretty much full time sawing so I will need at least 75 tie logs a week to make that happen. There are several loggers around so I just need to get to work figuring out what it will take to get some of their logs.

drobertson

logger79, not real sure where you are, but around here, being at the local fueling station before sunlight has it's advantages, most are fueling up with diesel and coffee, heading to the timber, not a bad place to make contacts.  The best bet is to find locals with 1 tons that only haul in the 1000 ft range, these guys just want the most for the logs,  I would suggest finding a market for 4x6's as well as ties, the only issue is quantity, 75 a week seems a lil on the low side,  there will be culls, plus, if the lumber is going to a flooring mill, bigger stacks fresh cut seem to bring a lil better grade,  they know they have you over a barrel to some degree,  the more you do it, the better it gets, just my experience,   all said get the logs off quick, pay quick, and turn quick, otherwise get ready to custom saw in the mean time,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Bibbyman

I got the feeling you won't be able to make money if you have to pay premium prices just to get logs.  Every log will have to make a tie and you'll have to have a market for the off-all lumber. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

cutterboy

Quote from: logger79 on July 08, 2013, 03:11:06 PM
There are several loggers around so I just need to get to work figuring out what it will take to get some of their logs.

MONEY...that's what it takes. If the logger is not contracted he will listen to you talk money. The thing is....can you make a profit if you pay high prices for the logs. As some of the others have said....talk to them. Get to know them if you can. Some may not want to bother with you, but some may. Be persistent like a salesman and sooner or later I'd bet you'd be able to deal with some of them. There is always a way!   Good luck, Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!