iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Felt Like I Was With A Celebrity Today

Started by plaindriver, July 12, 2013, 09:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plaindriver

Perhaps difficult for youngsters to understand, but 25-30 yrs ago, any furniture made of 'oak' was the rage, absolute the best, only for the most exclusive and discriminating etc. I remember buying my 1st oak furniture item, a waterbed group. (Lotta particle board beneath the scenes). So, today, I (me!) am cutting up a 44" x 20" small red oak for stickers.
Then, looking at the grain, wow, reminded me of my youth, ogling over the exquisite grain in the expensive furniture. I felt like I was dealing direct with an old celebrity or movie star from decades ago.

The red oak seems to have a peculiar odor as well, adn also seems to retain moisture more than wht oak or maple.
Kubota L4600 DT w/FEL, John Deere 750 4WD w/FEL, PH Digger,RotoTiller,Box Scraper,Disc;16, 18, 20" chainsaws;Troy Built 27T splitter; table saw, radial arm saw,turning lathe, chipper, small backhoe, Isuzu NPR 14' stakeside diesel truck; a wife that still likes me.

ElectricAl

In the county we live in Oak Kitchen cabinets are Taxed higher because it is a luxury item.

We have Custom Built Walnut and Maple. 
You know , a down grade for us common folk. 
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

dboyt

Sounds like you're off to a good start!  Wait 'till you cut into some of the other species.  Every one has its own character.  You'll look at wood with the same sense of wonder, even after 100,000 board feet.  Keep cutting and keep posting!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Thank You Sponsors!