iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting ready to build a small milling project in the Spring

Started by Old Wood Whacker, December 07, 2013, 12:08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wood Whacker

I'm getting into a new venture that is going to require quite a few large buildings. My goal is to generate all of my energy for the operation from biomass, and since the project is going to use about 300,000 bd. ft. of lumber, and since I spent a good deal of my working life in the sawmill and logging business, it makes sense to have a mill, dry kiln and milling operation to manufacture the lumber products I will need, and as a source of biomass for the generation plant.

I have no aspirations aside from strictly retail--post & beams, flooring, siding and molding. I don't want to get into wholesale production again. So, I think that a small bandmill like a Norton, Woodmizer, Timberking, etc. would work just fine. In addition, I will need an edger, debarker, chipper, perhaps 4 or 5K bd ft kiln to start, and maybe expanding to 10 to 12K eventually (more to have several drying projects overlapping each other than for extra production). I'd be in the market for a decent used debarker, chipper and two saw edger and would consider a used mill and other equipment if it is in excellent shape.

I've been out of the lumber business for nearly 20 years, so I'm a bit behind the times, but I've been researching for this venture for about a year. Does anyone care to throw their 2 cents out there for advice--what to do, what not to do, what to look out for, etc. Any hindsight (shoulda, coulda, woulda)?

I've been looking at those kilns like TimberKing and Wood-Mizer offer, and perhaps a couple Woodmaster planer-molders. I'm not sure they would do the job or not. At this point, I'm leaning toward the Norwood fully hydraulic mill. It looks like it's built well and a good bang-for-the-buck, but I'm open for suggestions. If you don't want to get into a smear campaign on here, you can email me if there are things I should be warned about. I would greatly appreciate any and all input. Thanks.

Seaman

Welcome to the forum!
I would recommend you look into the swing mills. I think the versatility of these mills is often overlooked. the first two benefits I see for you is not needing ab edger, and the dust is course enough to use for biomass I am pretty sure. They give you flexibility as far as length of logs go,  and have planeing and slabbing capability .
May not be as much of a production operation as you want, I don't know. Or you could hire some sawyers from here on the forum to come up for a couple of months! :D
Hope this helps.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

dboyt

Don't overlook the support equipment.  If you go with long beams, make sure you have a way to move them efficiently.  It sounds like an ambitious project, and I look forward to watching its progression on the forum.

I've been running a Norwood MX34 for over two years, and been pleased with the way it has stood up to all the abuse I give it, including dropping logs, bumping it with the loader, and milling logs that absolutely max out its 34" diameter capacity.  My mill is manual at this point, but I've seen the hydraulics work, and they seem very capable.  When looking at mills for long beams, make sure the hydraulics will adapt.  You may need to add an extra turner, clamps, and log stops.

Here's a link to a post I made cutting some fair-size sycamore.  The Pettibone loader served well as a hydraulic log loader and turner!
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,70670.0.html
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

drobertson

Sounds like you have a good plan, just a matter of deciding on make and models.  Support equipment as you know a must,  and then of course an out for the product,  keep us posted on your progress,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

uler3161

We run an LT40 hydraulic and a WoodMaster planer, so I can only comment on those. We've been sawmilling since about 1990. I think we've had the planer for about 4 or 5 years.

I'm very pleased with the LT40. It's our second one, but it's still an older model. But it does the job very well. It would take an awful lot for me to consider a different manufacturer. I would prefer a newer LT40 super with a diesel so I'd have faster hydraulics and the 2 plane clamp. I don't think you could go wrong with a WoodMizer.

The WoodMaster planer is decent (especially for the price), but has it's problems. We have the 718 model with pretty much all the goodies (spiral head, moulding attachment, farm duty motor, poly bed board, rip saw, dust extractor). We use it mostly for 1x6 pine v-groove paneling and 2x8 pine log cabin siding. The siding was the main reason because the knives are a full rounded profile, whereas the competition didn't. We're quite happy with how well it makes the siding.

I would like to post the negatives here for everyone's benefit, but it seems to be a bad thing to criticize a sponsors product. I don't really want to cross the line on that, so I'll contact you. And if anyone else wants to know, they can contact me.

1989 LT40HD, WoodMaster 718

Dan

jcbrotz

Quote from: uler3161 on December 08, 2013, 02:46:05 PM

I would like to post the negatives here for everyone's benefit, but it seems to be a bad thing to criticize a sponsors product. I don't really want to cross the line on that, so I'll contact you. And if anyone else wants to know, they can contact me.

I think everyone would agree it only bad to rant not state actual opinions/ problems
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

Old Wood Whacker

Quote from: Seaman on December 08, 2013, 07:25:46 AM
Welcome to the forum!
I would recommend you look into the swing mills. I think the versatility of these mills is often overlooked. the first two benefits I see for you is not needing ab edger, and the dust is course enough to use for biomass I am pretty sure. They give you flexibility as far as length of logs go,  and have planeing and slabbing capability .
May not be as much of a production operation as you want, I don't know. Or you could hire some sawyers from here on the forum to come up for a couple of months! :D
Hope this helps.
Frank
Thanks, Frank. I don't know if it is because I've been out of the loop for so long or if it is just terminology we don't use up here North of the Mason-Dixon, but I am not familiar with the swing mill term. Any links to one? I may be looking for a millwright come this Spring, but I don't know if you'd like it up here very long. One of my boys moved to Raleigh, and swears he'll never see another winter up here. Done spoiled him down there, it did. LOL

thecfarm

Top right,Lucas Mill. I find those mills fascinating. First time I saw one I bugged the guy the way a 5 year old does with questions.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Wood Whacker

Quote from: dboyt on December 08, 2013, 08:04:34 AM
Don't overlook the support equipment.  If you go with long beams, make sure you have a way to move them efficiently.  It sounds like an ambitious project, and I look forward to watching its progression on the forum.

I've been running a Norwood MX34 for over two years, and been pleased with the way it has stood up to all the abuse I give it, including dropping logs, bumping it with the loader, and milling logs that absolutely max out its 34" diameter capacity.  My mill is manual at this point, but I've seen the hydraulics work, and they seem very capable.  When looking at mills for long beams, make sure the hydraulics will adapt.  You may need to add an extra turner, clamps, and log stops.

Here's a link to a post I made cutting some fair-size sycamore.  The Pettibone loader served well as a hydraulic log loader and turner!
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,70670.0.html

That there is some serious Buttonwood. Reminds me of some we cut about 30 years ago. They were so big that the old Jack wouldn't skid 'em. We had to buck 'em up in the woods and back the log arch up to trees and keep winching them forward to the landing. Sandy soil didn't help, but they were some big stems. We sold them to Howland Bros in NY. They made furniture legs out of them. That stuff weighs about 7 ton to the thousand when the saps running. The tri-axle used to gross about 118,000 when we hauled up there. Had a deal with the NY DOT. Since they didn't honor the tag up there, we could only gross about half of what we hauled, but they would only stop us and fine us $200 a month. We hauled ties back to Koppers in Muncy, so it was a money maker. Of course, back then, PA could fine you up to a buck a pound, so if we would have got caught in PA we may as well have gave them the title to the tri-axle. But, we were young and invincible back then. It's only now that our bodies are payin for all that stupidity. LOL

I'm kinda leaning toward the Norwood at this point. They seem really tough and a good bang for the buck, but this is my first endeavor into the world of bandmills, so I have a lot to learn. I have to think the beam handling thing out for sure. I could kick myself for ever selling that rack of 8 inch chain drive rollers I had on my old mill. It laughed at those 12x16 switch ties we used to saw, and it was 24 ft long.

Old Wood Whacker

Quote from: thecfarm on December 08, 2013, 05:23:19 PM
Top right,Lucas Mill. I find those mills fascinating. First time I saw one I bugged the guy the way a 5 year old does with questions.
Wow! I watched the video. I guess there isn't any limit to what you can saw with that girl. I sitting here reminiscing about some 5 foot sycamore that isn't much more than limb wood to what those things can handle.

drobertson

The Lucas mills are amazing,  It does seem that material handling could cause a few small issues, but then again, where there is a mill, there is a way!    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

dboyt

Peterson is also a sponsor, and there are some real differences between them & Lucas.  Not saying one is better, just do your homework, and examine your options.  Start with what will be going in (log size) and out (final product).  Whatever you get (band or swing blade), there will be times that the other mill would suit you better.  Think about what would work best for 85% of your milling, and how you will handle the other 15%.  For me, the band saw works 95% of the time, and the other 5%, I break down with a chain saw.  I've never been beaten by a log yet!  Your mileage may vary.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Thank You Sponsors!