iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hello from Michigan State University

Started by HandyAndy, February 06, 2008, 10:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HandyAndy

Hi everyone, this is my first post to the forestry forum.

I am a third-year student majoring in Forestry at Michigan State University where I am also active in the Forestry and Fisheries & Wildlife Clubs. I have worked for the MSU Department of Forestry for two years, but spent this past summer at the Forest Service's Coweeta Hydrologic Laboratory in North Carolina.

If there are any MSU alumni or current forestry students at other schools, I would really like to hear where you are or what you're up to.

Andy

Warbird

Welcome.  This is a great forum with lots of great people.

Ron Scott

Have you taken any classes from Dr. Larry Leefers?
~Ron

sgtmaconga

Measure twice cut once

Stump Jumper Jr

SwampDonkey

Welcome aboard.

It's been about 15 years since I was in school.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

HandyAndy

Hi, Larry Leefers teaches two classes, both of which I haven't had: the introductory "Forests of Michigan" and "Natural Resources Public Policy" classes.

Our Forestry Club/SAF Student Chapter has Feed-A-Forester lunches on the first Wednesday of every month, and Larry usually shows up to make a dent in the pot of chili. He is also cooridinating the push to sponsor forestry students to join the Society of American Foresters. Apparently there is a challenge with Michigan Tech to sign up the most new student members. We have less than 40 undergraduates in Forestry and when compared to 'Tech's 100 or so forestry students, I don't think MSU will win.

Ron Scott

Dr. Leefers was just elected Michigan SAF Vice Chair and will be the State Chair next year. I'm a Michigan Tech grad, but Dr. Leefers worked for me on the HMNF's while he was getting his PHD and then was hired away from me by Michigan State. ;) He is an excellent analyst, economist, and very hard worker. My lose was Michigan State's gain I guess. ;) Take his classes if you can as I know he speaks from experience.
~Ron

fat olde elf

Go Spartans !!!! Graduated in 1962, Floriculture Major.....This is very interesting and informative forum......You should also attend the Pig Roast in beautiful downtown Harrison, Michigan the first weekend in August....Hope to see you there...Go State Go......
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

moosehunter

I did not attend MSU but had a friend that did and I got to throw a football around the football field with him. That was cool ;D

Welcome to the Forestry Forum!
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

OneWithWood

Welcome, HandyAndy.  I graduated from and work at a university somewhat south of you (no not Purdue  ;) ).  I have been to the MSU campus on occasion to watch footballs get thrown around on the field and I hear it rumored that you all play basketball too.  :D

Enjoy your classes and learn lots then come visit us at the piggy doings in Harrison.  I think you would enjoy the conversations.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

farmerdoug

HandyAndy,

I was at MSU from 85 to 90.  Are you still in a dorm or off campus.  I started a the Brody complex and finished in Williams Hall.  When I finished they were just starting to put computers in all of the dorm rooms. ::)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Thank You Sponsors!