iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Mill Excellent LRF

Started by luke, May 04, 2004, 06:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luke

We got our new bandsawmill, a Turner all manual mill with a 10 hp electric motor. Some of the first logs my dad and I sawed were 7" dia. x 8' lg. yellow poplar logs that had about 5 board feet in them on the doyle scale. After the logs were sawed into 1" x 6" s we got a lumber recovery rate of about 200 %. We sawed a eastern hemlock log that had 122 board feet in it on the doyle scale, we got 200 board feet of lumber out of the log, and sawing time was about 40 minutes with 2 men.

This picture modified by Tom to under 400 pixels from 500 pixels.

We are more than satisfied with the new mill.

Luke
Checking into grade sawing, building a dry kiln and moulding machines.

Kevin

Nice looking mill Luke.
Do you push that puppy?

Rod

Kevin,you have to push it.We could of cut the log a lot faster but I keep triping the breaker on the really wide cuts that I am using to turn on and off the mill.I have a 40 amp at the breaker box.I think I'll change the 40 amp breaker on the mill to a 50 amp.

WeeksvilleWoodWorx

Love that over-run! Make sure the wire is rated at 50 amps, if my memory ain't slippin I believe you need 8 guage for 50 amps.
Brian - 2004 LT40HDG28 owner.

luke

Hi Kevin,

As my dad said, yes you push the saw head back and forth on the saw carriage. The saw head rolls very easily and it does not require a lot of strength to push. One minor detail to work out yet, I think we need a 50-amp breaker, because occasionally the 40-amp breaker at the mill will kick off.

We already have about 700 board feet of hemlock and yellow poplar stacked,sticked, and air-drying. In addition, 400 board feet of hemlock 2" x 8" x 12's, 6" x 6" x  8's, 2" x 4" x 6's, and 1" x 6" x 6's in our front porch that we are in the process of building. We need to saw about 5,000 board feet of hemlock and poplar for the pole barn that we will start building after we finish the front porch.

We really like the new mill.

Luke
Checking into grade sawing, building a dry kiln and moulding machines.

Rod

17 footer is all this mill can handle

this picture modified by Tom from 600pixels to under 400 pixels

D._Frederick

Luke,

I have a 7 1/2 hp single phase Baldor motor on my mill that draws 40 amps full load, I installed a current transformer and meter to read the amperage that the saw is drawing. It tells you how fast you can feed and when the saw needs sharpening. I bought mine at a electric motor salvage business, W.W. Grainger stocks them also. The ammeter does the same thing as a tack. on an engine.

Thank You Sponsors!