iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Toyota Coming To MS

Started by wwsjr, March 04, 2007, 08:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wwsjr

First let me say, I do not know if good or bad, but appears to be a heck of an economic boost to an area with thousands of furniture jobs going to China. I am going to reserve my opinion until I see more. Toyota is building a Highlander assembly near Tupelo, MS, 20 miles west of me.  The site, 1700 acres,  is located on Hwy 78, (future I-22) almost halfway between Memphis, TN and B'ham, AL. The site was developed by a 3-country alliance a few years ago to try to attract automaker or similar industry to the area. They plan to produce 150,000 vehicles each year starting in 2010.

What is impact on small portable sawmillers like me, don't know, but could possible be something out there for us.

The state has approved some 400 mil in incentives with Toyota to invest 1.3 billion in facilities. Estimates are for 2,000 construction workers starting this year thru 2008. 2,000 plant employees starting in 2008. Toyota has committed 50 mil to the 3 county school systems over the next 10 years.

Seems strange to me, losing jobs to China and getting jobs from Japan. Like a big merry-go-round. 
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Larry

Just following the leader...Kawasaki.  It's an interesting read as to why it took place.

http://www.kawasaki.com/kawasaki_aux/our_company/kmm.asp

I have several friends working at the Maryville Missouri plant.  It's modern, clean, and climate controlled.  Good working conditions, pay, and there happy.

Also have several family members that worked in the garment and furniture factories of S Carolina long time ago...they hated there jobs.

So...I dunno...guess you could say it's a global economy.  In any case, I hope you find Toyota a good neighbor.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Faron

Toyota came to southern Indiana several years ago.  It has meant a lot of high paying jobs.  My son in law works there night shift.  He works in the stamping department, not so physically demanding.  Some of the assembly line jobs seem to be pretty tough on the body.  Some people seem to wear out after some years. Because his is a desirable job, he will likely not get off night shift. :(  They seem to be responsible members of the community.  I found the main effect on you will likely be in the realm of what you might produce for those workers building homes, barns, etc.  There will also be smaller businesses expand or form to supply componets for Toyota.  I wish it was a 100% American owned business (very few actually are)  but the Toyotas are as American made as anything on the market.  So says the owner of a Dodge Ram. :D
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Tom

The money still ends up in the coffers in another country. We get some jobs but they own the land and, eventually, us as well.

old3dogg

Quote from: Tom on March 04, 2007, 10:41:17 AM
The money still ends up in the coffers in another country. We get some jobs but they own the land and, eventually, us as well.

This may be true Tom but they could have put the plant in Mexico and we would still be buying the product.
At least its decent paying work here. Most US companys gave us the finger and moved over seas.

Ron Wenrich

That depends on where the shareholders are located.  The money that the MS workers earn will be spent several times over on goods and services in the general area.  Profits are only a small portion of the revenue stream.

Meanwhile, Hershey Chocolate shuts down a plant in Canada and is going to ship an additional 1500-3000 jobs to Mexico from the US.  The new plan is if you can't bring the Mexicans to the jobs, take the jobs to the Mexicans.   >:(  Lots of heartburn in Hershey, PA.

I seem to remember a blurb on TV a good number of years ago where Lionel started making their trains down in Mexico, then shut that plant down and brought production back to Minnesota.  There was a problem with quality.  Am I remembering that right?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Tom

Remember the childrens toy that was made from a bunch of ramps in a frame?  You dropped a marble in the top and it went down the ramps from side to side, dropping from one to the next until it finally exited at the bottom.

You got a lot of entertainment from the marble as it went down its path, but when it dropped out the bottom, it was gone for good, unless someone re-inserted it into the top again.

I look at these foreign owned companies much the same way.  They will let us use our dollars until they have something better to spend them on.

DanG

I wonder if the Japanese people are whining about "their" companies sending the jobs overseas?  Do they not need the factory jobs to keep their own economy strong?

I'm tickled to death to see these "foriegn" automakers building plants in this Country.  Too bad the two remaining US car builders don't have the vision to offer what the people want.  Ya can't blame it on the American workers, either.  They've been building Toyotas, Hondas and Hyundais for years, and kicking GM and Ford's butts in the process.

As far as all the profits going overseas;  not necessarily.  These are pubicly traded companies, and their stock is available for purchase by Americans, or anyone else.  Most of you probably own some of it, whether you know it or not.  In many cases, the companies you own stock in, in turn own stock in foriegn companies.  Also, if you have money invested in mutual funds, you have a stake in companies all over the world.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sawguy21

I tend to agree with Ron. Those wages will turn into increased spending power which will drive the need for goods and services. More jobs will be created in those areas. What has been the experience of the area around Smyrna TN with the Nissan truck plant? Has the standard of living improved overall?
Canadians have been complaining for years about the level of foreign investment and control, primarily American. The truth is, we could not survive without it. Our population is not large enough to be completely self sufficient.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DanG

Quote from: sawguy21 on March 04, 2007, 12:56:00 PM
Our population is not large enough to be completely self sufficient.

I'm not sure our's is either, in today's world. :-\

Not only will their be wages paid to the factory workers and to those that support them, there will be taxes paid at all levels of government every time one of those dollars changes hands.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Faron

Might be interesting to know how much in dividends in Toyota stock is paid to Americans and Canadians.  And Austrailians, and New Zealanders and... ;D
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

DanG

Probbly about the same as "American" companies.....NONE. ??? >:(

Tony

Quote from: wwsjr on March 04, 2007, 08:39:07 AM
First let me say, I do not know if good or bad, but appears to be a heck of an economic boost to an area with thousands of furniture jobs going to China. I am going to reserve my opinion until I see more..

What is impact on small portable sawmillers like me, don't know, but could possible be something out there for us.

Well, I'm 8 miles north of Tupelo and the folks around here are jumping with joy 8)  .I think it will help all the towns  in the long run. Toyota is going to put 50m in the local schools in the 3 counties involved ;D

A different point of view. As a landowner who loves our land more than the
money, I see;  more people to disrespect private property, more crime and more moral degradation just to name a few. >:( >:( >:(
     We've had a housing boom here for the last few years and this has not made me a very happy camper for the reasons mentioned above >:( >:(

Tony 8)
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

Ron Wenrich

So, how much of American stocks and bonds are owned by foreign companies?  Aren't those earnings going overseas as well?

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Tom

squack

If you thank Jap's are so grate rember WWII they don't care about the US or our worker's. The olney reason for beeing here is for the money. When the market gose down they will be gone.Lsat year Toyota recalled more car's than they produced. At this time they are beeing suied in 3 state's over 300.000 bad engine's for sludge buildup.

Faron

While we are rembering the Japs, let us not forget the English, (twice) Canadians, the Spanish, Phillipinos Mexico, French and Indians, Germans, Italians, and ourselves, or the Southerners, however you see it.
Doncha just hate it when people think they ought to actually PAY you for sawing? ;)

Larry

Just a minute here DanG...I bought Ford stock years ago cause they were such a solid company and paid one of the best dividends around.  Yeap, they still pay a patry dividend but there stock price is in the the dump.  Add insult to injury they have also spun off stuff...yeap we got stock in Visteon Corp...it's price is also in the dumps...not as bad as Ford but they pay no dividend.

Not to slight GM I also bought there "Smart Bonds"...they were in dire straights to raise money and paid some of the best interest available.  Of course high return equals high risk.  I was glad when they raised enough money to call there bonds as they were near junk status.

These guys are carrying so much baggage from the past at least one is going down the tubes.  There only hope of salvation may be if one of the Japan auto giants bought them...it would have to be an absolute fire sale to get any interest.

If you believe other wise I have a boatload of Ford stock that I can sell ya at far less than what I paid for it.

And the auto companies problems were not brought on my outsiders.  Pure greed by both management and non-management.  Coupled with lack of foresight, they were easy targets to knock off.  Americans have voted with there dollars that foreign auto makers are providing higher value transportation.  Of course free enterprise is part of the American spirit...inevitable that we have some losses but hopefully the wins are far in the majority.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

rbhunter

I have to think we will take any jobs we can get even if the company is owned outside the US. We are upset that the CEOs in this country are sending jobs out of the country in which we should be. So we should also be glad to have other countries sending jobs here.

The US is only sending low pay jobs (according to the CEOs) over seas. Also no Americans want the jobs (for minimum wage). So the companies want to send the jobs out to other countires or bring in the illegal imegrants to work these jobs for minimum wage.

Companies are now figuring out that it costs money to ship the product back to the US in which they can still do and turn a profit, but if they send out call centers, programming and other jobs the cost is considerably lower to ship information back and forth. The white collar jobs are starting to go overseas also.

Most CEOs set on each others boards and vote each other pay raises even if the company performed poorly the prior year and make excuses. They ship jobs out of the country because all they care about is themselves, and could care less about the future for this country and for thier own families jobs in the future. Maybe they think they will earn enough so thier families and down the line will never have to work.
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

Don_Papenburg

I think that US companies that ship jobs overseas should have to comply with our OSHA laws enviromental lawsand regs. and pay the workers the prevailing wage of the plant that was replaced. Otherwise they should not let them import the products back into the US. 
  I also try to buy American made as often as I can . and from American based companies.   I look at it as the Chinaman is not going to call me to do ajob for him but the American might.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Tim L

I believe if you buy the best built vehicle for the money the other companies will be forced to match or exceed the quality and reliability of Toyota. Competition is a good thing for the consumer. Otherwise all the companies could produce junk and not be accountable .
Do the best you can and don't look back

sawguy21

This is where the North American manufacturers are missing the boat. The consumers are flocking to Toyota and other Asian companies because GM, Ford, and Chrysler didn't get it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

Most of my closest immediate family have Toyota. Include me in that. A lot of my forestry aquaintences are driving Toyota pickups. ;) I've been in local restaurants and said to myself, "this must be a Toyota dealership.' ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tim L

I bought a Tacoma because my brother in law has an 86' that he bought new (he has it oil undercoated) . I was so impressed with that vehicle that my wife and I both drive a Toyota .Don't get me wrong, I still love American iron (1969 chevy c-30, 1929 model A 1975 Dodge) but for a daily driver my Toyotas are hard to beat.
Do the best you can and don't look back

SwampDonkey

I got tired of paying $3000-5000 a year, from low mileage, in repair bills after the warrantee ran out on Dodge and GM trucks.  >:(
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!