iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Top three woodworking machines that scare you...

Started by hackberry jake, August 27, 2014, 08:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

before I was a wood worker I was a commercial fisherman and wood working is pretty tame in comparison . Severed digits a go-go, death by several ways, even some accidents that required counselors for responding authorities/help.Winches are particularly dangerous....... The best answer in this thread is the one about respect for ALL tools and using your BRAIN !Cheers  Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: hackberry jake on August 27, 2014, 09:04:33 PM
I have no idea how radial arm saws have such a bad rap.

Worked at a lumber yard years ago. One of the managers told me that they used to use the big radial arm for ripping. They'd turn the head 90deg and lock it. One day someone new tried feeding the saw a 2x4 12' from the wrong end..... :o

Now keep in mind, this was a BIG saw, like a 14-16" Dewalt.

The yard is right next to the Amtrak tracks, and the saw was about 80' away, aimed right at the tracks. He told me that it launched the board and buried all but about a foot of it in the heavy stone ballast of the tracks. Others confirmed his story.

They no longer used the radial arm for ripping after that.

BTW, back in the early seventies an old timer that worked for my dad cut his thumb off on another BIG Dewalt RAS. He wrapped the stump in his hankerchief, clocked out and started to walk home (about 10 miles away).

One of the other guys told my dad what happened, and he had to go find Charlie and convince him to get in the car and to go to the hospital.

LaneC

I read an ad in the classifieds on time that read " For sale. 1 brand new table saw only used once to cut 1 finger off" I want to put a smiley but I know it really was not funny when it happened to the guy.
Man makes plans and God smiles

redprospector

I guess it's kind of morbid, but what can I say.  ;D
As I was growing up in my Dad's shop there were several people who lost their fingers to radial arm saws, rip saws, and shapers. Usually at the finger nail, or the first knuckle. I was a little bone collector. I had a small jar half full of body parts.  :D
After I (kind of) grew up, I was put in charge of the shop, and that jar became a very valuable tool. I would show it to the new hires, and when they asked what it was, I would explain it to them and then tell them that if they didn't do what they were told, the way they were told, and never take their mind off of what they were doing that I would be proud to add their finger to the collection.  :o
A lot of them would walk away saying " I don't need a job this bad".  :D
I don't remember the exact numbers, but our accident rate dropped dramatically from the use of my collection.  :D  We had a really good crew in those days too.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

redprospector

Quote from: justallan1 on August 31, 2014, 01:55:45 AM
Redprospector, you are definitely right on that one. One cut-up mill I worked for had us making banding channel on a gang rip saw using basically a dado blade between the taller blades with spacers. What a disaster! You wore a leather apron plus stood to the side.

Allan
I can just imagine.
That dado between the rip blades would only allow a strip to gain speed faster.
But in reality, those strips can only go so fast, according to the blade speed.
I don't think you could get more than 250 mph. out of a strip no mater what you did to make it gain speed.  :D
Ever noticed how most rip saws are made with the table between cajone, and belt buckle high?
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

hackberry jake

Maybe thats why im not too scared of my radial arm saw. Its an older dewalt 9" saw with a 50 year old 3/4 hp motor. If something binds up, the blade just stops. I isn't capable of sending a board flying or doing anything forcefully. I have to really take my time making a cross cut or it will just stop.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Larry

I have a RAS and a fancy Bosch SCMS.  Both have been replaced in my shop by a sliding table saw.  It can do everything the RAS and SCMS can, only better and safer.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

hardtailjohn

Like was said before... I'm not scared...just really respectful...of my shaper and tablesaw.  The only one I'm scared
of is my wife!  :o :D
I think the bandsaw is one of the safest tools in the shop. Sure you can work at it and get a finger in there, but it's not trying to kick something out and throw it at you.
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

SwampDonkey

Brush saw with a madman bush whacker behind it.  Look out! ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

celliott

At the sawmill in college, they had a radial arm saw that they used to break down slabs for firewood (educational mill, not production)
The RAS was totally enclosed in a steel cage  :) with an extended handle out the side. It would bind up and sometimes stall, sometimes send pieces flying around the cage. Now that I think about it, I'm glad it was there.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Texas Ranger

Ya know, it does not have to be the equipment, it could be the operator.  This morning everything I touched seemed to draw blood.  Not the equipment, but the wood and assorted sharp or pointy things that stick out.  After three hours of this (slow learner) I shut it down and am now in the office, drying off so I can put bandaids on the leaks. >:(
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

mesquite buckeye

Good point. If you are even a little "off" that is a good time to park it and do something where you can't get yourself or someone else hurt. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

starbits

I knew a high school shop teacher that cut off 2 of his fingers in a band saw.  He had them in formaldehyde in a jar in the shop display case.  Opened every semester with "If it can happen to me it can happen to you."

I was shaping a table leg on the wood lathe once.   The lathe had an on/off switch that was about 12 inches off the floor.  I locked down a 3 foot long 4x4 and turned the lathe on.   As soon as I touched the tool to the wood my brain said this doesn't look right, I bent over to turn things off and before I hit the switch the wood hit the tool bar and flew over my back and across the room.  Didn't touch me, but if I had hesitated even 1 second I would have caught a face full of spinning 4x4, and that scared the hell out of me. 

Starbits

John S

It is the brain or lack of using it that has caused my "accidents", most recently my thumb meeting a saw-toothed forstener bit in the drill press to the tune of 4 stitches!  I did not bother to clamp the piece to the table and fence.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Busy Beaver Lumber

Reading this thread is enough to make you want to close down your shop and sell all the tools with liability disclaimers at the time of sale :D

Guess the three i respect the most
1. Chainsaw
2. Tablesaw
3. Radial Arm Saw
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Eppdso

Had a radial arm saw at the lumber yard that was from the 50's this thing was so scary.We used to stack 4 2x12 to cut at a time. When you started it up you could hear it at the other end of the yard. Shutting it down and the blade to stop took over a minute!

Sorry still going through all the old posts bringing some back to life lol

Thank You Sponsors!