iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pineywoods setter

Started by pineywoods, May 07, 2011, 11:07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

I do a lot of "engineering analysis" ie just sitting around thinking about a problem. One of these sessions involved just how simple a blade tooth setter I could build. Came up with a very simple basic jig that looked like it should work. Sometmes we come up "ahaa" moments. I could add one bolt and nut and have a workable dual tooth setter. Here's the parts list.
.2 pieces of 2 inch angle iron, one 4 inches long, the other 5 inches.
. 2   1/8 X 3/4 roll pins from napa
. 4 pieces of 3/8 all thread inch to 1 1/2 long
. 4 nuts to fit the all-thread

Clamp the 2 angle irons together and drill the 1/8 holes in the corners. The roll pins will press into the holes in 1 piece. Drill out the holes in the other piece to 5/32 so it will slide over the roll pins loosely.

The 4 nuts have to be welded to the angle iron. If you don't have a welder, any welding shop can do the job in about 5 minutes

Note that the spacing on the setter bolts must match the tooth spacing of the blade, 7/8 inch in my case. All 4 of the all-thread pieces have a screwdriver slot hack-sawed in the back end. The 2 bolts that press against the tooth have the end ground off round. Flat end won't work.

Insert blade, adjust the up-down screws so the bottom of the gullet is flush with the edges of the angle iron and line the teeth up with the set bolts. . Stick the whole works in your vise and clamp tightly, tight enough that the 2 set bolts bend the tooth of the blade.

OK, how much set??

Loosen the vise,and slip the blade out. Cheap plastic digital calipher, measure the thickness across the bent tooth. Subtract the blade thickness from this figure to get the amount of set. .065 minus .042 blade thickness = .023 set.

Tweak the set bolts and retry until you get the desired set. A drop of thread lock or rtv on the threads to hold the setting.

Takes a little trial and error to get it set up, but once it's done, it's just a matter of insert blade, clamp tightly, loosen vise, move the blade over 3 teeth and repeat.
Repeatability is excellent and it's faster than my old single tooth setter. Build it for 10 bucks even if you have to hire the welding.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Tom

That's pretty cool, pineywoods.

One of the most important things about a setter is its ability to clamp the band tightly.  I guess that the price of commercial models also has to do with the ability to compensate for differences in tooth height and tip distance caused by the customer grinding the tooth.

Then you have to include profit, engineering, marketing, profit, shipping and profit.

You show that we could make an acceptable one at home.  :)

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

paul case

that somehow looks a little familiar. it is exactly what my mind has been thinking.

good job.
when will you start taking orders?  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

bandmiller2

Ole Pineys done it again,good stuff cheap.Probibly if a fella had different pitch bands he could weld nuts with different spacing on the angle iron.An adjustable lever with a hinged pawl to advance three teeth would greatly speed up the process,but thats probibly the PW mark II model. Good work. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

nas

With that setup, could you make it a bit longer and set 4 or 6 teeth at a time?

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

mometal77

metalwebnews com

I posted this a few yrs ago on here some liked it.  Shows great projects for people who have a drill press,welder and a shop. 

Here harbor freight just moved into the area.  I love to see projects made out of steel.

Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

pineywoods

Quote from: nas on May 08, 2011, 09:43:13 AM
With that setup, could you make it a bit longer and set 4 or 6 teeth at a time?

Nick

Don't see why not, but you better have a good vise.. or how about a hydraulic cylinder running off the tractor hydraulics...or how about a jig to hold it in a log splitter...hhmmmm..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

r.man

To get different spacing all that is needed is more hole locations for the roll pins to slide on. You would have problems if the tooth spacing was too close to 7/8, but as long as it was enough of a difference to leave metal between the holes you could have as many as you wanted.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Hilltop366

For $10 you could make another one for different spacing!

nice

pineywoods

Quote from: Hilltop366 on May 09, 2011, 08:24:57 AM
For $10 you could make another one for different spacing!

nice

That would be the most logical way to go. I like Keep It Simple Stupid

barbender

Isn't simplicity a sign of good engineering? I like your work, Piney ;)
Too many irons in the fire

hackberry jake

I just built a replica pineywoods setter and thought if I welded a piece of an old band In-between the two pieces of angle Iron at the bottom then it would keep the flat sides of the angle iron parallel. I thought the steel would flex enough. It doesn't. I can set the teeth, but then the contraption doesn't open far enough to slide the band past the set screws. Guess I shoulda listened to piney and used pins. Back to the grinder I go.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Compensation

I call it the Piney XL.  ;D  I didn't too much care for the one being so close to the end so i didn't add the 6th one to it and now have a spare bolt. Any how, thanks Pineywoods for the idea.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

Nomad

Compensation, how do you account for every third tooth being a raker?  Only two of every three is set.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Happycamper

pineywoods,
  A few month ago I made your setter when I started sharpening my bands by hand after disappointing experiences with a professional sharpening service. Have used the setter ever since.
Thank you for the post and idea. Simple to make, quick to adjust, fast and easy to use.
                                Jim
Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

pineywoods

Nice work compensation.. An upgrade idea, not mine, glue a piece of rubber (thick rubber band ? ) between the two angles. Then the throat will open when you open the vise. Makes it a lot easier to slide the band to the next set of teeth..

Compensation

Quote from: nomad on August 24, 2013, 07:40:51 AM
     Compensation, how do you account for every third tooth being a raker?  Only two of every three is set.

Son of a! Thanks for catching that. You ever start welding at midnight and find out the next morning it was a waste of time? That's how you account for that 3rd raker  :).
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

drobertson

Just back out the middle one and go for it, great idea piney, good work comp,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Cutting Edge

Quote from: drobertson on August 24, 2013, 02:09:01 PM
Just back out the middle one and go for it....

Looks like to me that the sequence would still be off... Left, Right, Center, Left Right Center.  Just my 2 cents.
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

Compensation

Yeah, its basically a two tooth setter now with spare bolts. I knew there was a reason for 6, that was 4 bolts and 6 teeth. But everywhere I marked 7/8ths I put a nut instead of skipping that third one. For what its worth i hope this helps someone not make this mistake. This was made with scrap steel and left over nuts and bolts. Well I am going to start on the log arch now.

drobertson

Quote from: rwthom279 on August 24, 2013, 02:43:20 PM

Looks like to me that the sequence would still be off... Left, Right, Center, Left Right Center.  Just my 2 cents.
I think you're right R, did not look that close the first time, proto types are good for this, they give us a second chance to get it right!  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

drobertson

Man, still pretty work, not a hard fix at all,   let us see the new one if you will,  david

Ga Mtn Man

Hey, it would make a good blade for making cookies. :laugh:
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Cutting Edge

Quote from: drobertson on August 24, 2013, 03:56:31 PM
Quote from: rwthom279 on August 24, 2013, 02:43:20 PM

...proto types are good for this, they give us a second chance to get it right!  david

David, you nailed that one.  I've worn that hat a time or two  :-\ 
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

Thank You Sponsors!