iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how many board feet of cypress (Taxodium distichum) per ton?

Started by caveman, April 10, 2013, 10:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

I called a logger friend of mine to ask about buying some cypress logs from him and what it would cost per 1000bf.  He said he sold the logs by the ton and I was curious to know if there was a reliable conversion for green cypress per ton to board foot.  Thank you in advance for pointing me in the right direction.
Caveman
Caveman

clww

Did you check out the Forum toolbox on the bottom, left side of the page?

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

wwsjr

I sawed about 50MBF of cypress in 2011. All my paperwork burned in my shop, but I think I averaged about 8 ton per thousand feet. a semi load (27 to 28 ton) would yield 3500 to 4000 feet depending on quality and taper of logs.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

caveman

Thanks wwsjr.  I was sorry to hear about your fire.  I am being quoted $60/ton.  I do not know if I can come out at this price.  I did not see a conversion for Bald Cypress in the tool box.  Caveman
Caveman

wwsjr

I don't think I could pay $60 ton and get a very good margin of profit. I sold wholesale only to building supply stores and builders. I did not deal with individuals who unstack 1MBF and buy 6 boards.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

ellmoe

The yield on cypress will vary greatly. The biggest variable will be top size. At 6" top, 8 tons per 1MBF is doable. Other variables to watch are rot and crooked logs. There's not much you can do with a crooked top of a 6" log. Production rates on a 6" top with a band mill are not to spiffy!
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

wwsjr

I specified 10" tops on what I bought, did get a few lesser in size. Many were 24" and larger. Probably average was 12" to 16". It was good wood.

caveman

I would be able to pick and choose the logs but I thought this price was a bit steep for me.  Thank you for your input.  Caveman
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!