iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How long can trees sit after cutting?

Started by JetMaxx, August 25, 2004, 07:27:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JetMaxx

A week and a half ago, I went in to the potential house site part of our wooded lot and started cutting.  At first I took down alot of small trees, 6" in diameter and less.

When my brother in law showed up, we started to take down larger trees, most of which were hemlocks with a few yellow birches.  It was a rewarding because we were able to establish a view of the White Mountains from our house site, one that we didn't know we had(and I doubt the people that we bought the property from know of considering the price). 8)

I am hoping to eventually pull them out to the road and sell them to a local lumber yard.  But right now they are just sitting out there in the woods with no access to them seeing that a road/driveway to the house site has not been cut yet.  How long can they sit there before the worms get in them or anything else happens that would affect their value?

Kirk_Allen

Two key things you will want to do.  
1. Make sure the logs are off the ground.  If you can put them up on a couple of rail ties or some small logs this will help greatly.
2. Paint the ends of the lgos with a log sealer.  Some folks use a specific log sealer (Anchorseal) while others have used a wax, or enamel paint.  The goal is to stop the ends from drying to fast, which causes checking and degrades the amount of the wood you will get from the logs.

Im not sure on the two species you mentioned but most logs if taken care of can be cut more than a year after being taken down.

Kirk

beenthere

The short of it, is that they are degrading as we write. Trees are a perishable item, just like an apple or a pear. In the winter when (if) its cold, then its like putting the fruit in the refrigerator. But when its warm, the bugs and bacteria will enjoy the hi life, so to speak.

Any thoughts as to what you could use from the trees that you have already cut down, or was it just to open up the site?

Do you have a way to move the logs? To a sawmill? To a location on site where a portable sawmill can get to them?

Minimum care, follow Kirk's two step plan.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

The sooner the better especially if the logs have any grade to them. As previously stated, warm weather and the bugs will start to work on decreasing their value.

Use protective methods as previously stated to help in preservation until milled. It would have been best to access their market value and plan the access for recovery before the trees were cut.

~Ron

JetMaxx

I'm not sure how I would be able to get the logs up on anything considering their size.  If I were to cut them to reduce their size, how long should the first log be?

Their cutting was to open up the site primarily.  There is a lumber yard less than 3 miles away that would come and pick up the logs but it's a matter of getting them out to the road first.  I hope to get up there in Oct with an excavator to clear the driveway and access the house site and fallen logs.  Or I may look into a land clearing company to come in and do it for me.  The value of the logs taken from the driveway and house site should well offset the charge of having someone do it.

Ron Scott

Check with the local mill where you plan to sell the logs and see what  their logs specs. are and what specific log lengths they want.

100 inch logs are common here unless the mills request otherwise, but veneer grade is usually cut 9 -10 foot for more trim allowance.
~Ron

Rob

Jetmaxx ,

How are you ? Is this the house lot and driveway we spoke about a while back that you wanted me to come clear fr you ?

Rob

Thank You Sponsors!