iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Engineering terminology in English. Please help.

Started by TW, January 09, 2008, 01:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TW

I have trouble getting the terminology right in an abstract that must be written in English. I did not find any help in any of four dictionaries.
The field is moisture physics within construction engineering.

"Steam content"? Is that a correct term for the weight of water vapour per volume of air? Usually given as grams per cubic metre. The Swedish term I am trying to translate is "ånghalt".

"Relative moisture"? Is that the correct term for the current steam content compared to the maximum possible steam content at this actual temperature? The Swedish term I am trying to translate is "relativ fuktighet".

I would be thankful for help.

Gary_C

First I would assume you are speaking only about mixtures of water vapor in air.

"Steam content" would probably be written in english as "moisture content" although a more technical term would be "absolute humidity" which is normally given in pounds or grains of water per pound of air, not per volume of air.

"Relative moisture" would be written as "relative humidity."
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Slabs

It's been a while but I think the grams per cubic meter is just humidity.  When you throw in the temperature which determines the ability of a given volume of air to hold moisture you've got relative humidity.   Dew point may be another term relative to this subject.  It's the temperature at which a given amount of moisture in a volume of air has caused total saturation or 100% humidity.

Hope I said that right.  It has been a few years.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

SwampDonkey

Looks to me you guys have it covered. It almost sounds to me that article was written by someone whose first language is not English.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

TW

Thank you

It is difficult to translate from my native language Swedish to a foreign language.

Thank You Sponsors!