iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More workshop opportunities -- Southeast

Started by danreed76, December 12, 2014, 02:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danreed76

As noted in an earlier post, we kicked our timber framing adventure off in fine style with the help of Jim Rogers and several new friends.  Several folks weren't able to make it and inquired about other dates.  That being said, we are going to continue to work on the frame throughout the winter with hopes of a spring raising.

It's long been my experience that the best way to learn is to teach; it's also been my experience (both on the FF and hands-on) that timber framing is a craft that is passed from person to person and makes for an enjoyable community effort.  For those that are looking to explore timber framing, as well as those who may have some prior hands on experience and just don't find many opportunities to lay chisel to wood, we'll be hosting additional workshops over the winter leading up to a raising in the spring.

These workshops will be of an informal nature (no paid professional supervision), and I (as well as any other prior workshop attendees or framers of various skill levels who would like to participate) will be happy to pass on what I've learned and continue to learn.  There won't be a fee for attending, but folks will have to take care of their own accommodations since (until we get this house built) we don't have anywhere to put up guests.

For anyone interested, drop me a PM or an email and I'll start working on some dates.  For local folks and those who may happen to be passing through, we'd be happy to have ya drop in as convenient on days that we're out there working.

Any other thoughts and ideas are welcome.

Dan
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

cntryby

Grey haired riders didn't get that way from pure luck.

danreed76

Replied to a couple of PMs and Emails today.  Glad to see some interest!

Just a point of note, that everything we'll be doing (right now) is pretty basic, and I'll relay what I've learned the best I can.  While there is some compound joinery to be cut (likely toward the end) most everything will be mortise and tenons, rafters with tongue and fork, as well as some crows feet and birds mouths, floor joists with tusk tenons, and braces and brace pockets.  If there's something in particular that is of interest to folks, we can try to let you know when we'll be doing those specific joints.

I'm keeping two lists of names; those that are local and want to come by when our schedules line up, and those that would like an advanced notice to come down for a few days ("from away" some might say).

Dan
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

danreed76

We'll be working in the barn for the next several days... in other words little to no internet access.  If you're figuring on coming by, drop me an email or give me a call.

Dan

grweldon

Thank you for the notice... I would have liked to stop by but I was quite busy after Christmas and New Years

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,80465.0.html

Please keep giving the notices...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

danreed76

Hello All:

Haven't posted anything in a while, as I've been a bit distracted trying to keep the entire house project moving forward.  I'll be getting back to work on the frame again soon, and the invitation is still open.  Due to work, I won't be able to get my focus back on the frame until the second weekend in March, but will be working on it quite a bit from there until the end of the month.

Dan

robbob

Hi Dan
I am new to the forum and timber framing. I would like more info on your work shops. I live in Hiram Ga. about 35 miles West of Atlanta, you may know that area. I would love hands on exsperience of joinery.
Thanks Robert (robbob)

smokeatrr

i would interested in a workshop. Live south of Atlanta.

Thank You Sponsors!