iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The omen

Started by chain, July 13, 2011, 06:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chain

Many years ago, I returned home from service, waiting for me  was a job on the farm running a mechanical cotton picker and also working as cotton scaler at the local cotton gin.

Now, the rest of the story [my 'puter shut down after my lead sentence]

So, one crisp December day I was sent out to pick cotton on a two row 'picker. It was very boring as the field had been picked in October and I was basicly 'scrapping' the left over cotton' only dumping every hour or so. I stopped the picker in the middle of the field, I think a press door had stopped up. Climbing down I turned around and just before my eyes was a lizard impaled on a cotton stem! Just what are the odds of this happening I asked myself as I searched around for more lizards on a limb?

I took my finding to the gin that afternoon, our local Doctor, a surgeon, and our secretary were in the office as I brought my prize in for I.D. The secretary said,"get that THANG outta here!" But good 'ol Doc..he said wait a minute..I know what did that, a bird!

Anyoine guess what bird impales his victims to come back later for a meal?

My 'omen' story. :)

Magicman

In my cotton picking days, we used our fingers and drug a cotton sack.  Of course we only had 7 acres.  My omen was to go somewhere and get a real job.

I now own that old cotton field and planted it with pine seedlings.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ely

butcher bird is what we call them.

Aroostooksawyer

Northern or loggerhead shrike .Up here in Maine the Northern Shrike impales mice on hawthorn tree thorns.I think shrike means impaler in German.

Chuck White

Yup!  Butcher Birds!

They'll even use the barbs on a barbed wire fence to store their prey!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

chain

Probably was the logger-head shrike, I've confused those birds with the 'cat bird';  has been years since I've seen a shrike.

SwampDonkey

I only see northern shrike on migration and not too often over the years. They winter down here and nest way up north. They are larger than the loggerhead. I have seen them catching field mice in the grass. There southern range is not well defined it seems, it fluctuates.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

indiaxman1

Recently watched  bluejay peck a shrew to death...and proceed to fly off with it in it's beak...never knew they ate meat!

Magicman

I watched a cattle egret catch and swallow a mouse.  I thought that they only ate insects.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!