iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cellulose For Energy Storage

Started by Ron Scott, June 30, 2014, 05:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

RE:  CELLULOSE FOR ENERGY STORAGE?

CORVALLIS, Ore. – Based on a fundamental chemical discovery by scientists at Oregon State University, it appears that trees may soon play a major role in making high-tech energy storage devices.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2014-04/osu-tgh040714.php

Note that Oregon State University is one of the universities that has re-focused a wood products to a biomaterials initiative.

~Ron

Southside

Interesting, of course anybody who has ever tried to saw off a spring pole can attest to how much energy a tree can store!!!
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SPIKER

Sounds real promising, the adaption of super capacitors will help electrical car industry as well as many GREEN type energy systems that need to store power during peak output.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

mesquite buckeye

Should be interesting to see if this goes somewhere. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thehardway

This is good news indeed, I have been following the development of graphene for use as superconductors and super capacitors.  The concept is proven but cost of production has been a bit prohibitive for mainstream and/or any high volume production.  This seems like it might provide the needed shortcut.

Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Thank You Sponsors!