iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drilling hole in pallet fork

Started by Novascotiamill, June 25, 2018, 02:03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Novascotiamill

Been trying to drill 1" hole in tip of my pallet fork to mount a ball to jig some small trailers around that always seem to be in the way. After several failed attempts with regbtwist bits I came across the milwaukee dozer hole saw set and thought id give em a try. Well with a bit of lube they cut thru the fork in about 4 minutes on slow speed.caught all the cuttings in a box so the dog wouldnt cut his feet,also remembered to set the clutch on low! Ill try and attach a photo.

2017 HM130
Stihl 261
2010 F150 xtr
Lots of rigid genx5 tools
1 long haired german shepherd
2017 kioti ck2610HST with FEL and forks
Grindlux band sharpener
Wicked 55" root rake grapple
O

sprucebunny

It amazes me that a hole saw will cut thru things better than a regular twist bit, sometimes.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Dave Shepard

Is that the style hole saw that has carbide cutters on it?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mike_belben

Forks are hardened so they will tear up a HSS bit especially going fast.  At 1" you need to be down around 100 RPM for a happy surface speed in steel. 
Praise The Lord

plasma cutter was my drill bit of  choice for fork tips along with a few wet rags for cooling

Novascotiamill

According to milwaukee the teeth have a higher cobalt added forvdurability they also have a limited lifetime warranty on tooth breakage. Dont know if the teeth are carbide or not but it feels just as sharp as the unued ones innthe case.
2017 HM130
Stihl 261
2010 F150 xtr
Lots of rigid genx5 tools
1 long haired german shepherd
2017 kioti ck2610HST with FEL and forks
Grindlux band sharpener
Wicked 55" root rake grapple
O

Mountain_d

I want to do the same thing. Has anyone tried cutting a hole in pallet fork with a set of torches? 
Mountain. 
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

breederman

Most of the ones I've seen were done with a torch, but i hang around with farmers mostly !  ;D
Together we got this !

YellowHammer

I've done it with a torch.  Since forks are hardened steel, care must be taken not to soften them by overheating, so pierce in the center of the desired hole, and quickly work outward and cut the circumference.  

Plasma cutters work well, also.  I once cut the tip off a fork with a plasma cutter by mistake when I was cutting a piece on top of the forks.  When I finished the cut I heard a ping, plink and saw that not only had the piece I intended to cut hit the ground but also the top of the fork.  Ooops...  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

A mag drill with a broach bit is your friend in these cases. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

John Mc

Quote from: sprucebunny on June 25, 2018, 02:25:51 PM
It amazes me that a hole saw will cut thru things better than a regular twist bit, sometimes.
You're cutting a lot less metal with the hole saw.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!