iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Very little info.

Started by Woodhauler, September 30, 2012, 01:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Was told a guy died/ got killed cutting wood in jackson maine this weekend. People in town haven"t heard much about it. Guy at the transfer staion this am said it happened on a guys woodlot near him. If i find out more i will post it.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

James Arsenault

A friend of mine from down this way told me his father-in-law, a one Mike Merry from I believe he said Belfast, was killed in a skidder roll-over Friday. No one mentioned the town it happened in.

Woodhauler

Could be him, belfast is only 10 miles from me.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Okrafarmer

Hmm. That's too bad. WH, I keep forgetting and getting Jackson confused with Jackman. I didn't realize you live in Waldo County. I've spent a lot of time there. Not Jackson, but Waldo County. My aunt and uncle lived in Knox for a long time. I have a lot of friends in Waldo County, esp western side.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

snowstorm

looked at wabitv5 and village soup nothing there about it

Woodhauler

Quote from: snowstorm on September 30, 2012, 04:55:53 PM
looked at wabitv5 and village soup nothing there about it
Its true, just not much info on who and what happened.

James Arsenault

I haven't pressed my friend for anymore details than was offered. The family is very distraught of course, and I figured on giving it time before I asked any more questions.

What was offered in brief was Mike Merry was working on a steep embankment, and they called it a skidder roll-over accident.

Again, I don't know if it's the same one or not, but it did happen.

rick f

My thoughts and prays go out to the family and friends.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

Woodhauler

Quote from: James Arsenault on September 30, 2012, 05:09:16 PM
I haven't pressed my friend for anymore details than was offered. The family is very distraught of course, and I figured on giving it time before I asked any more questions.

What was offered in brief was Mike Merry was working on a steep embankment, and they called it a skidder roll-over accident.

Again, I don't know if it's the same one or not, but it did happen.
Seen his obit in the paper. Sad day for all. Prayers go out to the family. Said he was living with debbie reynolds, If she is the same debbie i know, she lost her first husband to a logging accudent 20 years ago or so.

snowstorm

Woodhauler

lumberjack48

My prayers out to the family, sad this happened

I came closer to getting hurt running a C4 TF more times then felling, this is because of the machine being so light.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Autocar

I hate to hear about accidents like this and it's even worse for you fellows that knew him and his family, my prayers to his family. I ran a old can car for a freind one winter it scared me to death to light and the roll gage wasn't very strong at all if I remember it was 1 3/4 inch pipe bolted with 3/8 inch bolts
Bill

thecfarm

That one was sure kept quiet. That is some sad news.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MikeMerrysGirl

You are correct, there was very little info about Mike's accident.  Sadly, I can fill you in on what we think happened, but I'll preface it with a little info about Mike. He was a logger for over 30 years, and he was a man who cared about helping people.  Mike, age 64, woke up at 4 am and left home at about 5:45 am.  He had breakfast at Goose River and then drove to Surry to unload his skidder at a new wood lot where he would begin work the next day.  Then Mike arrived home shortly after 8 am and talked with me for a few minutes before he went for a cup of coffee.  After running a few errands in Belfast, he returned home for a much needed nap.  Unfortunately, he didn't get that nap because he got a call from Dan Wagner to go to a wood lot located near Jackson to cut wood.  Mike met Dan at the wood lot and they took a walk to discuss what needed to be done.  When Dan left he told Mike to be careful.  Mike just shook his head and said, "I've done this circus before."  At about 1:15 pm, Mike called his daughter to wish her a Happy Anniversary.  He also told her he'd been awake since 4 am and that he was going to take a nap.  I sent Mike a text at 3:35 pm to ask him what he'd like for supper.  He didn't answer.  We think the accident occurred between 1:15 pm and 3:35 pm.  I contacted Dan at about 6:30 pm because Mike was later than ever and I was worried.  Dan said he was just driving to the wood lot to check on Mike because Mike hadn't responded to two of his calls.  Within seconds I heard Dan say, "His truck is still here."  I knew then that something bad had happened.  Then about 15 minutes later I called Dan again.  He was very upset and said, "He's under the skidder.  I think he's gone."  I raced to the wood lot and waited until the rescue team arrived to take Mike out of the woods.  When we were at last near Mike, the State policeman asked the rescuers to wait.  I quietly asked, "Where is he?"  The policeman pointed his flashlight down the hill, and I could see a little of Mike.  Earlier, when Dan was with the State policeman he had pulled Mike out from under the skidder and lay him on his back with his arms across his chest.  I walked to Mike and knelt down beside him.  I could only see the left side of his face, which was uninjured.  A leaf covered his left eye.  I gently kissed Mike's forehead and told him I loved him.  Then I gently stroked his beard, touched his shoulder, and lightly stroked his wrist.  I never saw him again after the rescue team carefully put him on the stretcher.  A few days after Mike's death, I went to the accident site with my friend Susan.  Before Mike began working that day, he learned from Dan that the emergency brake did not work on the skidder.  Mike parked the skidder, which was running, next to a tree up the hill about 60 feet from a tree he'd just cut down.  He attached the cable to the downed tree and then, with his helmet and ear protection on, began cutting the tree.  Because of Mike's injuries, we believe the skidder hit Mike from behind.  His right shoulder was severely damaged, his neck was broken, and his skull was fractured.  All located at the back.  After the skidder, which rolled down the hill backwards, hit him, it sent him forward and onto the ground.  Then the right rear tire (which thankfully had no chain on it) rolled over his back but did not remain on him.  Then the skidder moved about 2 or 3 more feet and stopped when it ran into a tree.  Mike's helmet lay about 15 feet behind the skidder.  When Dan discovered Mike, the skidder was still running and Mike's chain saw was near him.  I wish I could turn back the clock.  I wish I hadn't worked that day because maybe I could have convinced him to stay home for that much needed nap.  Mike Merry is my heart and I will always miss him.  We were a good fit - long conversations, much laughter, and a deep affection for each other.  Back in June, after I'd told Mike that my great great grandfather had been a logger, Mike asked me if I'd like to go into the woods with him to see what a logger does.  I went and was both fascinated and frightened.  Please be careful all of you men who work in the woods each day and make sure you get that much needed rest. Bless you and be safe.

Okrafarmer

Thank you so much for filling us in. I am very sorry for your loss. I grew up in Maine, and spent a lot of time in Waldo County. I am praying for you. Thank you for taking the time to share with us what happened and how much Mike meant to you.

:'(
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Woodhauler

Sorry for your loss!!!! I have spoke to many guys that new and worked with Mike and HE WAS A HELL OF A MAN!!!  LOVED HIS WORK,HIS FAMILY AND YOU!!!!

James Arsenault

MikeMerry'sGirl..... I am so sorry for all of you affected by this. I have heard nothing but good about Mike.

I never met him, but I am friends with Mike's son-in-law, Mike Seaman from Newcastle. My sons met Mike Merry at Billy Seaman's birthday party, the boys were jammin', Billy on drums, my boys on guitars, and even though the music the boys were playing was different than Mike liked, he sat down at the drums and jammed with the boys for a bit.

The boys said they talked a while with "Mr. Merry", and they liked him.

thecfarm

That was a hard post to read.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

newstick

Very sorry for your loss Mike Merrys Girl. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Im am owner operator of Newberg Forest Products.We are a convental logging company with a Timbco feller buncher, two John Deere skidders , a strokeboom delimber, and a Serco log loader with circle slasher saw.
In the summer time my other company builds Handcrafted Log Homes. I love the woods!

MikeMerrysGirl

Quote from: James Arsenault on October 12, 2012, 09:12:08 PM
MikeMerry'sGirl..... I am so sorry for all of you affected by this. I have heard nothing but good about Mike.

I never met him, but I am friends with Mike's son-in-law, Mike Seaman from Newcastle. My sons met Mike Merry at Billy Seaman's birthday party, the boys were jammin', Billy on drums, my boys on guitars, and even though the music the boys were playing was different than Mike liked, he sat down at the drums and jammed with the boys for a bit.

The boys said they talked a while with "Mr. Merry", and they liked him.

James,

I was with Mike at the Seaman's home when your sons were there for Billy's birthday party.  I have some wonderful photos of Mike, Gabriel, and your sons that I took while they played music in the garage, your boys on guitars and Mike and Gabriel on the drums. After we left the Seaman's home Mike immediately talked to me in the truck about how amazing he thought your sons were.  He really had enjoyed talking to them and thought they were two fine young men.

Debbie

poorfarm

very sorry for your loss and pain.cant read all of that.. sad day.

Ron Scott

Very sad accident. You have my sympathy for the loss of Mike.

This is a reminder to all working with and around skidders to not trust the skidder's emergency brake. I encountered a similar situation a few years back when I was checking one of my logging jobs. i heard someone weakly calling out for help and when I went to the skidder I could see that the cutter who was working alone at the time and also doing the skidding was pinned under the running skidder. It was a scary situation.

He was much more fortunate than Mike as his left leg was pinned under the skidder tire. I was able to move the skidder to free his badly broken leg and called for an ambulance that came soon and removed him from the woods. He was laid up for some time with the broken leg and  a bruised body. Very lucky that he only encountered a broken leg.

He said that he set the emergency brake on the cable skidder, jumped off to hook the cables when the skidder rolled back on him. He jumped out of the way in time, but fell and the skidder got his left leg. It was later found out that the skidder's emergency brake hadn't been working, but the cutter didn't know it at the time and trusted it to hold.
~Ron

snowstorm

on the older john deeres never trust the parking brake. they were known for self releasing. set the brake then put it in park. just remeber to take it out of park before releasing the parking brake

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!