iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Favorite Mobile Phone Apps

Started by Norm, December 23, 2011, 08:37:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

I got the new Apple iphone 4s and am finding there must be like a billion apps out there. Anyone care to share what your favorite apps are?

okmulch

One I like the best is the bar code scanner. You can scan most bar codes and then it will give you a prices and places you can find the item. I use it alot for ammo. It finds stores online and local.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

Dakota

If you like music, check out Pandora.
Dave Rinker

MikeON

Leafsnap - take a picture of a leaf and it returns suggestions as to the identify of the tree.  Must have 3G or Wi-fi for this feature to work.  Also has more conventional browsing of trees with stock photos of leaves and bark.

iBirdPRO - bird identification with songs.

Star Walk - aim the iPhone at the sky and it identifies the constellations you are looking at.

Motion-X GPS and Motion-X GPS Drive - navigation apps

Kayak - travel arrangements.

Soundhound - iPhone listens to a song and returns the name, arist, and lyrics
Woodmizer LT40HD Super.  WM Single Blade Edger,  John Deere 4310 tractor, M35A2C Deuce and a Half truck

clearcut

I recommend downloading and registering Find My iPhone (free) for anyone with an iDevice. If you lose your phone, you can log into a web page to locate the phone using the GPS or send a message to the phone and make it ring even if the ringer is otherwise turned off. If the phone is stolen, you can remotely wipe the data. SeekDroid is a similar app for Android devices.

Gaia GPS is a Topo Map oriented GPS that allows downloading of a specific area while on WiFi should you be out of 3G range or don't want to take that hit on your data cap. There is a limited free version. Gaia GPS is also available on Android.

Simplenote (free / subscription for no ads) is a great text based notes app that automatically synchronizes with the web, your desktop, and other devices. I keep a shopping list, to do list, don't forget this when ... list, hours for various businesses, address and directions to copy and paste into emails and text messages, part numbers with prices for oil filters, wiper blades, and such to stock up when I notice a sale, and the dimensions of every room, door, and window in my house. Essentially I can now carry all the bits of info that I wish I had with me at one time easily. FlickNote is a free (ad supported) SimpleNote app for Android.

Yelp is good for finding restaurants and businesses when traveling. (Free)

Carbon sequestered upon request.

Patty

I got a new app yesterday called Runkeeper. It is an app that will monitor your run (or walk, or ski, etc), map your route, number of miles ran, heart rate, etc. But the best part is that someone can remotely monitor your position. I want to do runs and bike rides, but Norm is worried about me being out there alone (we live in the boonies). Another good feature while on vacation, you can still get in your run, and the gps will get you back to your original spot without getting lost. So my plan is to run with the app on so he knows exactly where I am at any given time if necessary.

This should be interesting......going out for a relaxing run, AK47 strapped on my back and the phone in my pocket, I am READY!   8)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Woodwalker

There are thousands out there, just have to shift thru them. I use mine for work and play so apps are varied. In no particular order, Print Magic (wireless printer), Drudge Report, Wikipedia, Craigs Pro, Electric Power(unit converter), Translator, AutoCad WS(open, view, and work in Cad drawings) Convert Units,  WebMD, Pandora, Scan, OnStar Remote Link(starts the truck), several news and weather apps, Wallgreens(refills by scanning pill bottle), MagLight(uses the camera as a magnifier), banking app., FindPhone, PDF.
If you can think of an action, someone has written an App for it.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

jim king

I had no idea such things were possible. ??? ???  Here I am still impressed when I can talk on the phone much less all those things.  The first one I had down here was a motorola about half the size of a brick with a pull out antena.  I dont think it even had a memory to store phone numbers and it cost about $800.  Times have changed quickly.

Holmes

Quote from: Patty on December 24, 2011, 06:31:40 AM

This should be interesting......going out for a relaxing run, AK47 strapped on my back and the phone in my pocket, I am READY!   8)

I hope Norm gets the video app. so he can upload right to the forum you out for a relaxing run with the AK47. 8)
Think like a farmer.

dewwood

I use Gas Buddy for checking area prices on gas or diesel, also myAltitude which gives your current altitude(great when travelling).
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My father-in-law has an app, and I don't know the name of it. However it's too cool.

He can be in a bar, restaurant, elevator or ANYWHERE music is playing. He turns this app on and when his phone hears the music, it will post the artist name and the name of the song. It will also give you the words to the song and the album / CD cover and the year and date the album came out.

This just blew my mind.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

DouginUtah

According to MikeON (reply #3), it is Soundhound.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

terrifictimbersllc

Angry Birds (99c edition).  TV Guide (free).  Accuweather. Fandango (movies). Also radio station apps to listen to your favorite talk show hosts when your local radio stations don't know how to select programs.  p.s. if you have a choice of free or 99 cents the latter can be a bargain to avoid advertising pop-ups.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

okmulch

Postonlt40hd  one of those apps is shazzam that will tell you the music.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

Bibbyman

I was just happy to find FreeCell.   ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

I need good apps to find and read books on public domain.

Also. Movies on public domain. I found one but it just has a big long list and not much that I care to watch.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Ironwood

Love VZ navigator, gets me around even if lost in NYC walking out of a subway station, let alone in the truck/trailer looking for the easiest route to a shop. Details down to the smallest detail.

Basic weather channel is good to see whats about to hit.

It is my office in my pocket, email, pics, text to customers (it aint just for teens senseless use), and all in the plam of my hand, AWSOME.

Only thing is just this year I now need READING glasses to see the screen. ::)

Ironwood

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Bandmill Bandit

How do you pick a favorite?

There so many useful apps that it is hard to say that any one is preferred over another for me.

I have a few apps that I find very useful in my sawmill business.

2 come from Bear Creek Lumber, 1 called Tree Book by Sarofax and my favorite of the forestry apps so far is one called Wood Calculators by Darren Gates.

Still looking for a very comprehensive one for identifying trees and lumber of Western Canada. 

These are all I-phone versions and are in the I Tunes store.   
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

clearcut

Bibbyman, there is a free app called Free Books that categorizes and helps you search for books in the public domain.

Your public library may offer free electronic books to "check out" and download. Some use the Kindle app or OverDrive media. Many have audio books.

Youtube.com/movies has full length movies to stream.

Mediafly and Crackle also stream movies.

wesdor

I like Evernote.  It lets you keep notes "in the cloud" and they are available from phone, desktop or laptop.

Bibbyman if you can read PDF or ebook format check out project Gutenberg.  Most of the books are "classics" - read old, but there are still lots of good books to read and they are all FREE.

Jeff

If there is anyone out there that is running an android phone with a minimum of version 1.6 and would like to try the beta version of the Forestry Forum App, let me know.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Woodwalker

Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Jeff

Quote from: Jeff on December 27, 2011, 11:39:27 AM
If there is anyone out there that is running an android phone with a minimum of version 1.6 and would like to try the beta version of the Forestry Forum App, let me know.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

John Mc

Has anyone used an iPhone app called "Clinometer - level and slope finder" by Peter Breitling?

I'm looking for something to measure the slope of woods roads and trails in either % grade or in degrees. This one looks as though it will do it. I'm just wondering if anyone has used it.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

clearcut

I have used Clinometer as a level and bubble level, but never to measure the grade of a road. It works fine as a level. To measure grade I suspect you would have to sight along the body of the phone.

A better application might be Theodolite. It uses the camera to sight along the slope rather than trying to sight along the body of the phone. Both a free and paid version are available. Different phone models can access different features.

GeoCam is a similar app on Android. Free and paid versions available.

Thank You Sponsors!