iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

My apologies, I should have asked in a better way. My ? was out there asking all who knew.
I like to see / hear what's out there. I'm always looking for markets for wood.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

1270d

Older pic from a job with some nice aspen a few years ago. Ponsse S10 Caribou loading.

barbender

Nice piles, looks like a forwarder load or more in each one!
Too many irons in the fire

Ron Scott

Again, some great timber harvesting photos.
~Ron

Ken

It's not always fun and games.  Cracked gear cover on front of motor, leaky wheel seal on one bogey and a new sneaker for the other side.

Lots of toys for working in the bush

coxy

I didn't think the newer eq broke down  :) :) :)

barbender

Sorry, Ken $$$ >:(  I finally finished my spring breakup pole sale, my landings turned into a real mess. Although this is sandy ground, the frost coming out has the ground saturated. In addition, we got a fair amount of rain one night. The one day, 4 trucks got sent out for poles. It was fortunate I was still on the job, because the first truck was stuck (with the big front mount loader and all the bunks on his trailer, he said he weighs 45,000 :o). Typically I am already gone when the pole haulers show up, so they were lucky this time. They come from over 200 miles away, and they wouldn't have been able to get loaded.  As it was, we got them set up in a wide spot, and I would skid the poles out to the loader truck. Then a bunk would back in, he would load those poles on. Then they would move ahead so I could skid more. Kind of a cluster  ut we got them all loaded and on their way.

The loader truck put a load on at the landing, and then I pulled him out. You will notice the chain attached to his front end ;D

When a landing turns to slop, I do my best to dress it up when I get done. It's a challenge with the tiny blade on the forwarder.  It always feels good to get a job finished, but a muddy job always looks best in the rear view mirror ;)

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

barbender

Yes it is, Peter. That is the only species that they take for poles (from our area). I think the max length we get around here would be around 75', so for longer poles they get Red cedar from the west coast.

Ken

Quote from: coxy on April 01, 2016, 06:58:13 AM
I didn't think the newer eq broke down  :) :) :)

Coxy  That old forwarder has over 38000 hours on it so it deserves a bit of work now and then. 

Barbender  I would love to get an opportunity to work in a red pine stand like that.  Very few stands of red pine in this part of the world.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Corley5

A couple pics from last winter.

Togetherness  ;D

Removing cylinder from Franklin with Tree Farmer  :)  It's good to have an extra machine

Ready for re install.

Partial load of hardwood pulp from last winter.

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

dustintheblood

Quote from: barbender on April 01, 2016, 11:52:27 AM
  Sorry, Ken $$$ >:(  I finally finished my spring breakup pole sale, my landings turned into a real mess. Although this is sandy ground, the frost coming out has the ground saturated. In addition, we got a fair amount of rain one night. The one day, 4 trucks got sent out for poles. It was fortunate I was still on the job, because the first truck was stuck (with the big front mount loader and all the bunks on his trailer, he said he weighs 45,000 :o). Typically I am already gone when the pole haulers show up, so they were lucky this time. They come from over 200 miles away, and they wouldn't have been able to get loaded.  As it was, we got them set up in a wide spot, and I would skid the poles out to the loader truck. Then a bunk would back in, he would load those poles on. Then they would move ahead so I could skid more. Kind of a cluster  ut we got them all loaded and on their way.

The loader truck put a load on at the landing, and then I pulled him out. You will notice the chain attached to his front end ;D

When a landing turns to slop, I do my best to dress it up when I get done. It's a challenge with the tiny blade on the forwarder.  It always feels good to get a job finished, but a muddy job always looks best in the rear view mirror ;)

Hi Barbender,

Quick kudos and thumbs up and smiley faces and all that internets stuff to you.

I've spent a lifetime in the forest sector and am spending my semi-retirement advising the national and provincial wood sector here in Canada.  Now all that and a couple of bucks will buy you a cup of coffee, but the reason is to let you know that from what I've seen of your work and ethics, you're a great example of how to do it right.  Great job all around!!!!

Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

dustintheblood

Quote from: Corley5 on April 01, 2016, 07:48:52 PM
A couple pics from last winter.

Togetherness  ;D

Removing cylinder from Franklin with Tree Farmer  :)  It's good to have an extra machine

Ready for re install.

Partial load of hardwood pulp from last winter.

Give me old iron to work on any day!  This new fangled stuff sure does cut like heck but I'll be darned if I can fix it without googalizing it first.

Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

Gearbox

Barbender has been to best logging practice class .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

barbender

Gee, thanks guys! I just try to do it the way I would want it if it was my property, and leave things so the boss doesn't have to haul out a dozer to fix a mess I left etc. Ken, you would have loved processing this Red pine. It probably had the best form of any I have worked in. I think it was around 400 cords total, and only about 80 was bolts and pulp. The rest made poles. It seems like usually those numbers are flip flopped ;)

BargeMonkey

I'm always impressed with the CTL pictures you guys post. Everything always looks clean and efficient.

chester_tree _farmah

How about some pics of your C4D forwarder Corly? :)
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Corley5

When it was new to me  ;) ;D

Later days.  Still hand cutting.

Loading the firewood machine.

Sugar maple saw bolts

A couple winters ago.

Winter before last.

Logger RK

Nice Tree Farmer. Looks about the same color I painted my stuff. ::)

barbender

Corley, with those single bunk machines, do you have to set the blade down for stability when running the crane?

chester_tree _farmah

254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Corley5

She's tippy loading and unloading without the blade down ;) ;D  It's got a pretty high center of gravity.  The 132 Franklin is much more stable. 

BargeMonkey

Very nice looking machine, those CTL jobs always look good. Forwarder is beyond handy sometimes.

RHP Logging

Nice machines Corley!  Yeah the Franklin roof mounts are great machines. My headache rack is a touch taller. Takes some gettin used to loading and unloading.  Especially big logs.
Buckin in the woods

timberlinetree

Nice! Does anyone run duels on these forwarders( for stability)?
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Thank You Sponsors!