iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tigercat 630 Vs the rest…...

Started by Polish Hammer, July 08, 2015, 09:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polish Hammer

IM going to get this discussion going :) we have a 2007 cat 545 with 35.5 32 tires 124 inch grapple,  a 2000 timberjack 660c with 30.5 32 tires 124 inch grapple and ugraded enine with 300 horse, and i just picked up a 2006 tiger cat 630c 142 inch grapple 35.5 32 tires . I will be doing the comparisons starting augest 1st after we put all the machines down for servicing and maintenance. everything from fuel consumtion to performance to breakdowns. I will be rotating my operators threw the machines so its not operator based performance and will run the gear 8 weeks. were in terrain from swamps and muskeg to hill climbs  to rocky outcrops everything to test the [I have typed a profane word that is automatically changed by the forum censored words program I should know better] out of theses machines.  I will take pics and video and post my findings.
Cat 322c fmhw with waratah 622, Komatsu PC200-7 FM with waratah 622b, Timberjack 450b grapple, timberjack 660c grapple, Tigercat 630c grapple, John Deere 853j Buncher, echo saws

so il logger

Tiger cat never caught on in my area, I'd be interested in your result's. In the meantime I will bet on the 660 jack  :)

bill m

If that Cat in the picture put his arch lower the ground like the Tigercat I don't think his front end would have come up like that. IMHO
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

kiko

Even with a lack of scientific method,  I like the idea of the comparison.  Some like the tigercat and some don,t . Same goes for each I suppose .  Being that I don,t log for living I will have a different perspective.  Although I can safely say in advance the CAT will be my choice for all around best skidder.  I have much less experience with the 660 than the other two. The major downfall I've seen on the 660s were axel failures on those with the zf axels and engine temp issues, but a very productive machine.   IMO the CAT is easier to repair.  The cab has to be removed to remove transmission but that only has to be done every 10 to 12 k hours .  The way the sheet metal comes off the CAT most every thing is accessible. Parts availability is second to none. Having to switch into neutral to work the boom and the grapple would seem to be an aggravation.  Common problems with the cat are grapple rotator leaks,  arch and boom pins and bushings,  injector cup issues.   The tigercat on the other hand is easier on the operator and quit an awesome machine.  I personally don,t care for tigercat skidders,  the bunchers on the other hand I like.   All 630c are going to experience electrical issues at some point especially the wiring to the hydrostat speed sensor and proportional solonoids. I could never get used to the taste of windshield when the drive motors default to creep when experiencing momentary current or signal disturbance.   At some point the boom is going to break right in front of the rotator box and that DanG pump drive shaft is going to shake lots of bolts loose and the balancer is going to walk in and out on the pump shaft.  The joystick is going to wear  out much sooner than expected.  Busted barrels on the drive motors , it goes on and on.  It might not be an issue for you, but the part I need is usually in Canada.   But they have brought in a lot off work so that is a definite plus for the tigercat.  All that being said the tigercat will probally pull more wood per drag , but I think heads up the CAT will put more wood to the deck per day.  I look forward to the up dates, I think you should include the major servicing you will do prior to this test in this thread as well.   

HiTech

That will be an interesting test. (Comparison) In my opinion all those machines are awesome. I have never run any but have watched them go. They can move wood. It is good to keep changing the operators also. Each day when fueling these beasts I could probably run a couple days with my little skidder on what you spill. lol It is simply amazing what these big machines will go through, over and pull. I did notice one thing though. When they go down they are down. lol I saw one go down and it took awhile to get it out. Thankfully they had another machine just as big helping to get it out. That day I understood why they put a winch on a grapple machine.

Polish Hammer

With the 660 and the cat 545 were pulling between 150 and 200 CORD each on a Bad day, thats a 10 hour shift
mind you were in large hard wood stands of mature poplar. the 660 goes threw 250 liters in that time frame the cat is around 320 liters. once i have the tigercat on the site im hoping to really get going. we run bunchers 24 hours a day and skid in daylight only, as the terrain is too dangerous for night time operation.
Cat 322c fmhw with waratah 622, Komatsu PC200-7 FM with waratah 622b, Timberjack 450b grapple, timberjack 660c grapple, Tigercat 630c grapple, John Deere 853j Buncher, echo saws

Dixon700

Ms 460 mag 25" b/c muffler modded 010av  14" b/c
94 case 580sk 04.5 ram 2500

1270d

Putting up 3-400  cord a day must make for some serious trucking coordination .   

Polish Hammer

Quote from: 1270d on July 10, 2015, 04:35:27 PM
Putting up 3-400  cord a day must make for some serious trucking coordination .

We usually only run 3 trucks per day. mill is one hour drive one way. there hauling 4-5 loads a day each all week.

barbender

How big are the loads they're hauling?
Too many irons in the fire

Polish Hammer

Quote from: barbender on July 10, 2015, 11:56:44 PM
How big are the loads they're hauling?
There turning all the wood into wood pellets for our hydro company to burn instead of coal, so we get paid per ton. Were averaging 44 ton per load. I would guess thats around 22 - 25 cord per load.

Thank You Sponsors!