iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oil Mix Comments for Antique Saws:

Started by Lewis Brander, December 10, 2004, 02:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lewis Brander

Hello to all. This has probably been discussed before, but thought I'd ask and see what you would suggest. My old saws call for oil/mix ratios from 10/1, 12/1, 16/1 and 20/1 oil/mix ratios. With todays oils (Stihl, Husqvarna, Mobel 1 MX2T oils, etc) what would you suggest for oil/mix ratios for using these old saws, not just starting them and running them but putting them through there paces cutting wood. I've been using MX2T Mobel 1 at 32/1 but wondering if it should be mixed at a higher oil consentrations. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Lewis.
My hobby is restoring old saw. Just because it's old, doesn't mean she can't run and look good again. Take care. Lewis Brander.

Al_Smith

Well hello Lewis,imagine meeting you here.32 to one would be just fine,with that oil.I run all of mine at that mixture,from the oldest{McCulloch super 44a} to the newest [Stihl 048].I have ran that mixture for the 35 or so years I have had my own saws,and have never harmed one yet.

weimedog

This is almost like a reunion...I also run 32:1 synthetic in everything from a 1982 Husqvarna AE430 to a brand new( last year ) Husqvarna 365

Also my old saws run fine with the same mix so far. The Homelite XL800 calls for a 16:1 mix...It has the same basic bearing and piston arraingements as the newer XL-925 that calls for a more reasonable mix. I just run the same 32:1 I use everywhere..
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Jeff

Well hot dog, I'll bring da meat loaf. ;)

This is interesting to me as my collection of relics grows. :)

(I dont mean yooze guys) :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Chris J

For a second I thought that I'd clicked onto the wrong site, but yes this is Forestryforum.  I'd say the collection of relics is definately growing in more ways than one.  No offense intended; heck, I'm at least a few years older than my oldest saw  ;).  And to stay on topic, 32:1 with a good quality synthetic should be fine.

Y'all be careful.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

Al_Smith

Hey Weime,Glad to see you got that 1020,I was watching.Keep on watching,maybe you can join the 2100s club,with the rest of us,ran of course on 32 to 1 mix. :)

weimedog

Al,
 just got a 1130G on ebay....can't wait to see if I can work it around to replace my 797 for milling.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Lewis Brander

Hello to all. Yes, this is like a home coming. Ha. I know this thread has been discussed on the other site. But thought I'd bring it up here to see if there were any different opinions. I run 32/1 mix also using Moble 1, MX2T oil. So far no porblems that I can detect. I usually just start and run my saws for now, but am thinking of mabe demonstrating them a bit this summer and was curious to know if collectors ran a richer mix when actually demonstrationg their saws. I appreciate the input here. Thanks. Lewis.
My hobby is restoring old saw. Just because it's old, doesn't mean she can't run and look good again. Take care. Lewis Brander.

Lewis Brander

Ha, as far as old relics go, I'm at least 2 years older than my oldest saw. Hoping to get a couple that are older than me, if my luck holds up. I'd post a couple pics of my collection thus far, but haven't figured out this picture post thing as yet. Don't mind working on an old saw, but this computer thing drives me crazt at times. Finally figured out how to resize photos, but haven't tried to post them here as yet. Good to see you guys here also. Take care. Lewis.

Lewis Brander

Hi weimedog. Glad to see you got the 1130G. I was watching to see what that saw might go for. She looked like she was in great shape. Let us know how see runs. Lewis.

foresthawk

i have some old saws that call  for  16/1.  regarding these saws,
i only mix 16/1 for them, i  guess i am too old school to to use less oil in an old machine -- but i see a number of people like mobil mx2t  at 32/1.

Lewis Brander

Hello foresthawk. What part of upstate NY are you from? I usually run 32/1 mix using Mobil 1 MX2T oil. But it's a little hard to get here. What I have I ordered on line from a fellow, who had a good price on it. From what I have been told and what recearch I've done, it's one of the best oils for 2 stroke air cooled engines. I too am somewhat old school and want to run the mix that's suggested in these old saw. With the 32/1 mix there is hardly no smoke and that makes me a bit nervous compared to what I've used to seeing. To me there's that lingering doupt. On my newer saws in my collection I run 32/1 and it seems to woik really well. For my older saws I tend to run a mix of about 20/1 (6 oz oil/gallon on gas). I feel a bit better seeing a bit more smoke out of these old saws and don't what to see anything happen to them. I plan to get into demonstrating them if someone wanted to see them cut. So in light of that, I may run them with more oil. I have a Homelite, 5-20, I used for a day cutting wood at 32/1 and after inspecting the saw didn't notice any damage or problems with it, but plan to go to 20/1 with the Mobil 1 MX2T oil. Just a little more peace of mind on my part. Lewis.

foresthawk

we are in catskill region.
have not run the mobil mx2t.
 regarding smoke and oil mix --
using   air cooled oil, "low smoke" ; iso eg-d/ jaso fc,    believe it or not, there is little to  no smoke even at 16/1 in an old craftsman i run.  i might go 20/1 on it, but thats about it.
now maybe thats a little rich with a modern oil, i don't know.

Minnesota_boy

Those old 2-stroke engines called for 16 to 1 ratio of gas to oil because they used plain 4 stroke engine oil to mix.  There were no 2-stroke oils available then.  Oil technology has changed greatly in the past 50 or so years so you no longer use engine oil, but are offered a nice 2-stroke oil that is so much better at lubricating the 2-stroke engine that they can now run on a 50-1 ratio.  I still might run then a bit richer than that, but I certainly wouldn't run 16-1 with good oil.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Lewis Brander

Hello Minnesota_boy. I've been runnig everything at 32/1 and have checked to see how everything is being lubricated. So far pistons, rings, cylinders and crankcase areas look like there being oiled properly with a film of oil on everything. I mixed up a gallon of 16/1 Mix to try. If it looks like it blowing most of it out the exhaust I'll stick to 32/1. My old Disston D0-101, is 54 years years old and she runs just fine. I'll try her on the 16/1 Mix and see how she does. She smoked like crazy on the dino 2 stroke oil I had and seems to run fine on the 32/1 mix. On the 16/1 mix she was blowing all sorts of oil out the exhaust, but want to see how she does with the Mobil.OK take care. Lewis.

TACOMATODD

What do you guys think about Lucas 2stroke oil? That seems to be the best that I have found around here. Low ash, and low smoke, according to the label. I haven't seen the other stuff, except for the Husky brand (pricey), so I have no REAL comparison.
Trying harder everyday

Al_Smith

Kind of an old thread .I have no idea what became of Lewis .As far as oil I think just about any modern mix oil is okay even Amsoil so many are convinced is the best ever made .Lucas has a good reputation .Then you get into what ratio and then the opinions come rolling in and everybody is an expert .Then comes the gasoline which some travel 80 miles to find pure non ethanol  or go to the airport and buy aviation gasoline .Then people like me who just use pump gas and TSC oil and never ever had a problem .It does make for lively conversation at times which is amusing too .  8)

Thank You Sponsors!