iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Circle sawyer with an excuse

Started by Jeff, May 24, 2002, 04:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Or... Jeffs Cedar Lumber From Jeffs Cedar Log From Cedar Eaters Tree.

Well, The Log that started one of the longest threads this past year is now lumber and bench making material. I was going to saw it on our mill but I didn't for a couple reasons.

One, the cedar is soft, and my hydraulic pressure is turned up to hold hardwoods, and it would gouge the slabs, which I wanted for benches. The other reason is, It had to come past our debarker, and again, I did not want it gouged up or scarred.

So I just want you to know I am not a traitor to my trade Ron W and Corley5!  I just wanted the right tool for the right job.

As it turned out, my board piler has a friend with a Wood-Mizer. So he called him up, and was told for a 12 pack I could bring over my log. Well, I don't know how you woodmizer guys ever get anything done. First we debated on how we were going to approach this. Then we had a beer. We then got out a tape and leveled the heart on the mill. We then took a break and had a beer. then we decided that the log was to big fot just the two outside slabs that I wanted leaving a center slab, so we figured out that we must take some boards off each side while we had another beer.

This was work. So Richard (My new sawyer friend) Dan, (My lumber stacker) and I decided we would go on down the road to Richards house (We were sawing in his daughters driveway) and see his ponds and his river and his trees. This gave us a needed rest and time for a much needed beer.

Well, to make a long story short, we finally got my log sawed, I made a good new friend, and got a chance to see a woodmizer do its stuff up close. (You didn't hear me say this, but I think I want one.) It only took us 4 hours to get that log sawed. :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

Sounds like it was more than a 12 pack!   :D

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

umm... sorta  12 was 7.99 and 30 was 11.99, so hadta go 30.

Kevin

Sounds more like a twelver and a hat job.

Jeff

no hat! He does have web tv, and he does have the forum address, and if he wants to come and reach the hat level, then he will get one. He was paid well for that one log, even if he can't remember it... :D Really, if those hats weren't so damned expensive I would give them more freely. I have to save them for their promised place.

I asked one of the foresters from one of the BIG companies that frequents here if he would concider a "grant' to us for hats in exchange for a mention on the home page. He said that the company is on a budget crunch.  He would love to but does not dare to ask. Those Hats are $311 for 24

woodmills1

please don't start the engine after the beers!
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Jeff

We didn't, we actually only drank one during the milling. and that was near the end. :) Dan lived next to the mill so he did not drive and neither did I because Tammy picked me up later that evening. All done in fun and safety!

Tom

Is that me?  What am I doing in Mich.?  I must of missed that. :-/

Jeff

No Tom, see, no red work shirt. :)

Jeff

Besides, you saw on a BIG BLUE mill. I forget what brand again...?? ;)

Tom

Oh yeah, no red shirt.  My Wood Mizer's older than that too and my Blue mill probabaly wouldn't make the trip.  It must be somebody else. :-[

Frank_Pender

Yes Jeff, I can excuse your having to use a band mill, as opposed to the cirlce.  I too must admit that I have had to get someone to cut a special log for reasons of my Mobile Dimension could not accomodate the order. :)  They each have their place. :'(
Frank Pender

Corley5

It's okay Jeff.  I understand the calling of a little band mill also.
For me it's the portability.  It'd be no simple task to pack up the Corley #5 and haul it to the property in the U.P. to saw white pine for the weekend.  An LT 40 with hydraulics, diesel engine and a debarker would be sweet 8) 8).  Those Big Blue mills look pretty neat but we never hear much about them ;)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

I hear a lot about em. I just aint saying what I hear. I might want to go visit a friend in Florida again and I don't want him kickin my butt back to MI first thing.

Yup, the calling of the portable band is indeed strong. In fact I was going to start a new thread about it, but this is a good a place as any.  My Daughter Stacy has actually proposed the idea of us getting one. You can ask Tom, Friday she messaged me from her computer at school and said "Did you buy my Wood-mizer yet?"  She is totally serious. Bib, this might be a good question for Mary. What is the feeling out there about whether a young lady running a portable mill with help from an old circle saw dad is doable? She already controls my garden tractor for gosh sake.

Ron Scott

Jeff,
You need to get yourself one of them mills.
~Ron

Corley5

Go for it!  Sounds like a good way for young lady to make money for college tuition.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Norm

Jeff: My wife and I run a woodmizer together, she is too shy to post but her comments when she read your post about your daughter was "you go girl" her favorite saying. She has really taken to sawing and heartily recommends it to others of her gender. The experiences you gain in running your own business are something that no college can teach and will help her immensely in whatever see decides to do later in her career. Besides, I always bought my kids toys that I wanted to play with too :)

ElectricAl

Jeff,

I assume (since you own a sawmill) your daughter knows what kind of work goes on at any sawmill and has had a hands on sample herself.  If she likes hard work, has the drive and does not give up easily, she can and probably will succeed.  I think anyone that sets their mind to something with determination will succeed.  Especially with a knowledgeable experienced dad to help her out.

Make sure to advise her of the 3 types of people: 1. Those that think a female can't do a "man's work" and will always try to challenge her.  2. Those who are magnetically attracted to the female who can "out work" most men. And of course... 3. those who are indifferent to gender.  Group #1 loves to see the female give up, so she'll need to stand tall and show them who's boss (next to Dad of course).

By the way, I must confess, I am impersonating my husband.  I tried to register under our email address and was unable to register my name.

Linda
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Jeff

Welcome Linda! Thanks for the post I will relay it to Stacy. She's a little shy on posting herself.

Part of the forums security comes from only allowing an email address to be used once. I really would like to see you join and be part of our group. If you need help with an alternative email address, send me an email and I will see what we can do about getting you one!

Stacy and her mon neither one shy a way from "Mans work" In fact, they will do things that I won't but am expected to. :D

Stacy just started working in the local grocery store. First job. and had her first encounter with type 1. She was pushing in a big line of carts, when someone said to her. "why don't you get a girls job"  She turned and saw that it was my boss. The sawmill owner. (I am not the owner, just the head sawyer).

She turned to him and said. " I am going to, I am going to buy a sawmill" She said he didnt say another word. :D

I said good for you!

DanG

Ah kin see th' sign in fronta tha sawmill, now....BROKAW & DAD LUMBER CO. 8) 8) 8)

Wonder what brand of peas she will pay? ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Ron Scott

Jeff,

I bet Ray was surprised by that reply. I have a female working on the crew siding my house right now. All hammers, nails, and sawing.
~Ron

ARKANSAWYER

Jeff,
   My 11 year old daughter runs my Lt 40 and my 82 year old GrandMa pulls slabs.  They may not be able to handle 4x10x16' but then they should not have to.  As far as loading a log and pulling slabs and sawing they do just fine.  I have people just show up to watch Granny work.  Leslie is learning to open logs and what to look for but once to a cant she can take it to the deck with the best of them.  My wife knows lumber and can select and grade witht he best of them.  I this for sure for she carries off the best cuts for her personal use.  There is a gal running a band mill for grade hard wood  at a large mill down the road.  I asked the owner how she was working out and he said "GREAT!"  Said that the guys pulling for her work harder and hussle better for her then they ever did for him.  My Logger's daughter drives the skidder better then any man in the crew and at 5'2" 105 lbs she is pulling more then her weight.  
   Get her a LT40 Super and watch out that your feelings do not get hurt.  She may let you play with it.
ARKANSAWYER

Gordon

Hay Jeff that was classic. Tell her I'm proud of her for holding her to her guns under fire.

I'm going to buy a sawmill---CLASSIC---kids aren't they just great sometimes. They will make you proud won't they. ;)

My Mrs can work with the best of them. She just doesn't like snakes all that much. Guess that is the only weak thing about her.  But other than that she is tough as nails.Yup I got lucky when I landed this one I know that. Right now she is sorta large in the belly area cuz she only has a couple of weeks to go before a new one is in the house, baby that is. 8) 8) 8)
Gordon

Jeff

We would get a long fine. If I see a snake I scream like a girl and run. Stacy's lizard is as close as I come to reptiles.

Thank You Sponsors!