iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic question

Started by barbender, April 14, 2015, 02:33:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

I have a 3 point log splitter that I want to power with a small gas engine and pump instead of running it off of a tractor or my skid steer. The splitter has the control valve on it, and a couple of quick couplers to go to the hydraulic power source. I have a 6.5 horse gas engine lying around I'm going to use, I'm thinking an 11 gpm 2 stage pump. I guess what I'm wondering is how to plumb this to get to the hydraulic quick couplers. Would the splitter valve get power to it, and make the ram run both directions, with the second line being strictly a return?
Too many irons in the fire

dwchaisson

In my experience you have the inlet of the valve come from the pressure outlet on pump with a male/female coupler set in that line, then ports A and B on the valve going to respective cylinder ports, outlet from valve would then run to your resiviour with another male/female coupler set in this line, then you need a suction line from tank to your inlet on pump. Just a word of caution if you put couplers in your line you may want to increase your tank capacity because the couplers will create excess heat. Hope this helps and good luck!
homemade skidder, homemade band mill, home made log loader and trailer, 1993 ford 1 ton,1996 Chevy 1Ton dump, 2010 john deere 5065M with loader, 1987 trackless with blower, 576 husky,565 husky 372husky, homemade processor in the build stage, 900 david brown. 2 fordson majors. Life Long Collector

barbender

Yes, it does help and thank you!

OntarioAl

Rule of thumb with couplers is to go one size larger than hose size.
Al
Al Raman

Hilltop366

If your not going to use the splitter on your tractor any more you really don't need to use the quick couplers.
If you are still going to use the splitter on your tractor forget I said anything.

barbender

One thing I was considering was using the pump setup to power the hydraulics on my Woodmizer. I'mm probably just dreaming there, so I'll likely ditch the couplers.

Gearbox

Bar bender the 2 stage pumps shift to 1 GPM at about 600 psi so powering anything else that uses more than 600 psi will only have 1 gpm . I was going to use one to drive a motor on a conveyer called Surplus Center tec and he told me about the 1 gpm Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

barbender

Thanks Gearbox, now that you mention it, I think I read somewhere else (Pineywoods?) that the 2 stage doesn't work very well other than on splitters.

Thank You Sponsors!