iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turbo 7's causing me liver problems.

Started by PA_Walnut, January 19, 2018, 06:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnthonyW

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 22, 2018, 03:40:18 PM
When my bands go to the scrapyard they are broken in at least one place.

I have yet to break a blade. I'm not sure where the blades that cannot be sharpened end up. All of my blades but one have gone to WM Resharp. Some don't come back. There was one I didn't send, was missing a few teeth all the way to the gullet (that's what happens when you try to resaw a 3/8" eye hook). I didn't think it was worth even trying.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

PA_Walnut

On a related note, can the carbides be sharpened the same way (same equipment) as the others? As many times?
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

LeeB

PA,
Just curious, have you tried the 7 turbos again now that it's warmed up some? Are your logs still semi frozen?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

PA_Walnut

I have not, but I will again just for reference. I've used Turbo7's for a while now (2 boxes) and I just don't care for them. I'm almost always doing wide cuts and they just don't seem to work well. If I go too slow, the blade heats up and tension drops, go to fast and the saw starts groaning and speed drops.

When sawing somethings smaller and softer, like poplar, I can really move. Otherwise, just have to wrestle with them too much.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

AnthonyW

Quote from: PA_Walnut on January 23, 2018, 04:42:09 AM
I have not, but I will again just for reference. I've used Turbo7's for a while now (2 boxes) and I just don't care for them. I'm almost always doing wide cuts and they just don't seem to work well. If I go too slow, the blade heats up and tension drops, go to fast and the saw starts groaning and speed drops.

When sawing somethings smaller and softer, like poplar, I can really move. Otherwise, just have to wrestle with them too much.

Why would you go with less bite on harder wood? When cutting harder metals with a fixed speed machine, the call is for less TPI to increase the ability to get a bite on the material. With only 15hp, I find the same thing to be true on the sawmill. The 10* blades have so much bite in EWP the feed rate drops to keep the cut quality good and the engine from stalling. The 7* allows for a faster cut, same good quality, and less trouble with stalling.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

PA_Walnut

The carbide are 7° also, but work MUCH better.

Have some 4° blades on the way also, which folks report as working really well.

Will report back. Quality and consistency are more important to me than speed.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

YellowHammer

Intersting topic, how long will a carbide band run in clean wide wood?
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Chuck White

Quote from: Kbeitz on January 22, 2018, 04:39:55 PM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 22, 2018, 03:40:18 PM
When my bands go to the scrapyard they are broken in at least one place.

Yep...I run them until they break....

I run them until they break or have cracks, OR if they hit some really bad metal!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

JB Griffin

Me and the boss discussed trying the carbide blades, but we decided that it would probably die from end of flex life before they paid for themselves!
So we never tried em!

2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Percy

I rotate all ten blades in a box, they all get equal time and sharpenings. When I only have seven left due to breakage, I order a new box and when it arrives, I use them right away and save the six or seven tired ones left till I accumulate too many. Then I just toss them. My drive belt is in the same confinement as the blade and in over 10,000 hours, I've messed up two drive belts from broken blades.(300 clams per belt) Had a .055 shear all the carridge bolts that hold the idle side blade door on the 70. First a bang and then the door flew off. Changed underwear...then quit using tired blades...  ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Thank You Sponsors!