iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Be safe out there

Started by CCC4, December 19, 2016, 07:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

A lot of people think the most dangerous thing of logging is fallingbthe timber...but there are more steps to it than that. Bad injuries can come from limbing, bucking and topping. As an unfortunate person learned This past Friday...being too close to a skidder can cost you your life. Evidently a guy in my county was killed with a skid of logs. Read the news report but doesn't give much detail except it says major head and chest trauma. I personally did not know this guy but my Brother and Sister n law did. I know if the crew...they had another loss of life 2 years ago. I have seen their trucks but don't know them.

Anyway, it's tragic, it makes you think. I heard of this Friday but no details, news report came out today I guess and it was sent to me by message. I hate to even read this stuff...sort of bothered me all day while working a tight section with an 848...those skidders are so big things happen too fast to even react. Then this evening a friend "tagged" me to the report on my FB. Just figured I would let you guys know.

Be safe out there folks

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

CCC4

Yeh, he was young, around 30 I believe

OH logger

thoughts and prayers with his family
john

treeslayer2003

dunno what to say......bad deal

Maine logger88

79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

mills

Extremely sad, especially at Christmas time. How many times have all of us had close calls because your watching to see what the skidder is doing, and then the tree top breaks loose and swings at you.

CCC4

I hate even bringing this post back up to the top, but I had a situation happen that i have never had to deal with. The other weekend at my Brother and Sister in law's house there was a guy there. I asked who he was...it was the brother of the kid who got killed. I didn't know what to say or do. Finally later in the evening it was the guy and my SnL having a smoke on the porch. It just rolled out...I told the guy what I did for a living, how I know his pain and how sorry I was for his loss. I did a good job I think. The guy told me his brother was running chokers and the skidder had a hitch of short logs...they hung on a stump and kicked up and swung around and killed him. When I skid with horses this was always a big concern and had some super close calls.

Any way, just thought I would share that.

OH logger

that's too bad for sure. this occupation is not for the faint of heart. my son is only 8 but he shows a real interest in logging. I want him to work with me BUT it scares me. if he does this for a living with me I want him to love it  enough to be REAL careful. Praying for safety sure don't hurt either  ;)
john

coxy

CCC4  that's how my cuz got killed he was skidding with a jd40 and the log snagged a rock making it flip up and over the back of the dozer hitting him in the back of the head

Thank You Sponsors!