iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Carpentry and Chainsaws

Started by Dale Hatfield, April 25, 2006, 06:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dale Hatfield

It seams that a chainsaw is my choice for a cutoff tool when building around the farm.
Whats yours?
I wish I had a 2 stroke circular saw. A free handed ripped board not very straight.
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

scsmith42

I'll use a chainsaw for cutting off the top of posts (fence, building, etc), notching them for plates, etc.  Also use a sliding compound miter a lot or a battery operated circular saw.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Ianab

Chainsaw, heck yeah.
But  then I've been known to use one for the first stages of making furniture too  :-[  :D

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Reddog

Built most of a 24'x24' garage one time with one. :D

sawguy21

Didn't know there was any other way ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

Chainsaw was the only way to cut a ceiling joist from the attic side when installing headers so the bullet light could be in the right location over the fireplace. Worked very well.

Built a pole barn and used the chainsaw a lot because of no electricity. Either that or the handsaw, heaven forbid  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

isawlogs

I always have a chainsaw around when building , helps with cutting the logs  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

breederman

always use a chainsaw for "fine carpentry"
Together we got this !

Mr Mom

My dad used a chainsaw to cuy out a wall in the house the he lives in to make a room bigger. Used a sawall to cut a openning for a window.

I have used a chainsaw to cut lumber when there is no power.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Raphael

Quote from: beenthere on April 25, 2006, 11:32:22 PM
Built a pole barn and used the chainsaw a lot because of no electricity. Either that or the handsaw, heaven forbid  :)

I thought a chainsaw was a handsaw  ;)

I used my 066 quite extensively (free hand and guided) when cutting the timber frame for our house.

I bought a used 026 (allegedly "PRO") to replace the dead Remington I used to do carpentry work with but haven't had the time to address it's problems and deficiencies.  I may just dump it back on eBay and spring for the MS260 PRO.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

slowzuki

I built a pine shelving unit in my wife and I's bedroom with the chainsaw, hand planes and electric sander.  It turned out really nice and most people would never guess a chainsaw was involved on every cut including the mitred ones.

james

yup , but when i was thru cutting the hole in the boards for the outhouse i had to do a little sanding b-4 i could get anyone to use it :o :o :o
;D
james

pigman

Used the chainsaw just today to cut a square out of a board.  I was trying for a 5.75 in square, but  I think I was off by an inch or so. ;) The hard part was putting my name on the little square with the nose of the bar. ;D  I could have used the table saw and router, but the chainsaw was faster.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Bob Smalser

The waste from a tapered log using a swing blade isn't in the slabs, but is taken from the pith.  In heavily-tapered cedar butts I usually buck as 12 feet, these tapered boards can be quite wide.

To use them to best advantage, I use patterns to chainsaw out Adirondack chair parts using my little 12" Echo arborist saw, and assemble them in the green wood using bronze ringshanked boat nails and moisture-loving poly construction adhesive.  Then I simply chainsaw out the back profile.

I can make six of these a day and often give them away to neighbors, who usually clean them up some with a block plane and paint them.  I don't bother, as they hold up well in this climate as-is...the chairs shown are almost 10 years old.

Bob

vgbob

My last house was a log home. 'Home Improvements'
required the use of a chainsaw. Especially when cutting
through a wall the spikes used to tie the logs together
were a bi*ch to cut. I used to keep old chains around
for stuff like that and roofing jobs to trim shingles.

Deadwood

In my family this was a very heated topic! My uncle, who was a carpenter by trade, used to call my father (who was a truck driver), a Chainsaw Carpenter. I guess it was supposed to be a deragatory statement.

Over the years I have taken the middle ground. I aliken a chainsaw in carpentry to that of an adjustable wrench in repairing mechanical equipment. Both are handy tools, but you do have to know when to put down the saw/ wrench and get a more appropriate tool for the job! Most people get into trouble when they fail to do that.

Michigan Mike

Many years ago about eight years into my carpentry career I usd a chain saw to trim a bath room. This was high dollar house. This was also when reclaimed barn siding was the HOT  thing. We paneled the room with the siding and did a suround around the sunken tub with barn beams ten by ten if I rember correctly. Alway reggreted not getting one of those fake fuzzy mice for one of the knot holes. I always wonderd what  the room smelled like the first time it got hot and steamy in there.

leweee

Ahh yes ;D Chainsaw is my favourite woodwrking tool :D Weather its finnish carpentry or firewood....sometimes a fine line between the two. :D :D :D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

rebocardo

Especially useful when doing deck work. Pretty hard to cut a 6x6 or 4x6 with most electrical cutting tools except a chainsaw. Especially if you are trying to lift it onto a table. Narrow kerf electric saws work pretty well indoors and create less sawdust then cut off saws.

Thank You Sponsors!