iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

replacement for Stihl 270c?

Started by buckthorn, May 09, 2019, 11:08:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckthorn

I need to replace a dead 15 year-old 270c, and am looking for advice. I use an MS250 for most of my smaller firewood cutting and other light-to-medium duty jobs. But for heavier jobs I've used the 270c with an 18" bar. It was a step up from the 250, and could handle the majority of larger jobs -- bucking good-sized fallen oaks, elms, and box elders (hate 'em). But there've been times when I thought maybe the 270 was a bit overmatched. I'm tempted to look for something with a little more power (after 20 years on this property, the lesson has been "get more than what you think you need"). But I don't want to carry around a bunch of extra weight, either -- a lot of our jobs are in difficult spots on hilly terrain. I have a brand new 18" bar and several .325 chains from the 270, so it would be nice to keep these and use them on the new saw -- unless people think a 20" bar would make a big difference I don't know what all of the "new stuff" is on the Stihl saws, or whether I need any of it. I probably fit best in the "ranch/farm" category, but I don't want to be limited by Stihl's marketing categories. I'm experienced, but definitely not a pro. From the Stihl site I see the MS271 and MS291 as possibilities, but if anyone would care to make recommendations or supply some advice, that would be great. (I thought I posted an earlier version of this yesterday, but I don't see it. So if it pops up, I apologize for the duplicate posting)

btulloh

The ms362cm would give you a big step up. It's really light and agile for a 60cc saw and it's a pleasure to run. It's much better than the 391 which is basically the same displacement but part of the farm/ranch line.
HM126

sawguy21

I would suggest the MS261, lightweight yet more powerful and faster than the MS271 and your bar and chains will fit. The MS291 is heavy considering it's size. The MS362 is a whole new ballgame.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

buckthorn

Quote from: sawguy21 on May 09, 2019, 11:44:12 AM
I would suggest the MS261, lightweight yet more powerful and faster than the MS271 and your bar and chains will fit. The MS291 is heavy considering it's size. The MS362 is a whole new ballgame.
Thanks (and to btulloh as well). The 261 does look more my speed than the 362 (maybe that's a little too much of a step up for me). It's even lighter than the 270c, and with a little more power (I'm curious as to why the 271 and 291 are so darned heavy in comparison). I'd have to get used to not having the quickstop on the rear handle, but that doesn't seem like a huge loss. Is there anything on the C-M version that's worthwhile? My hunch is no, at least not for me. If I go for this, I know it's going to cost me a bundle, but it will may well be my last saw purchase.

btulloh

The 261cm is a great saw. Just a matter of which size suits you.

They're both m-tronic saws which just means electronic ignition and carb control. I have no complaints with the m-tronic systems.

If you're planning to use one for a long time, the extra cost to be in the pro line is more than worth it. Better balance, better power to weight ratio, easier to maintain over the long haul.

Stihl model numbers can be a little hard to decipher. They have a single page chart in their catalog and online which is really good for comparing specs on their saws.
HM126

realzed

I'm thinking a 261 would bring a wide smile to your face in the situation as described - not only from the performance, weight savings, balance, and long term durability - but the ability to reuse your bars and chains as well as possible upgrades to a 3/8 size in the future if need be.
Knocking off close to 2 pounds and getting the extra power and feel it as a Pro saw would bring would I'm sure quickly make you forget any cost differential..  

buckthorn

Quote from: realzed on May 09, 2019, 03:17:40 PM
I'm thinking a 261 would bring a wide smile to your face in the situation as described - not only from the performance, weight savings, balance, and long term durability - but the ability to reuse your bars and chains as well as possible upgrades to a 3/8 size in the future if need be.
Knocking off close to 2 pounds and getting the extra power and feel it as a Pro saw would bring would I'm sure quickly make you forget any cost differential..  
I visited my dealer yesterday. After looking at the old saw with the tech and confirming that it's toast (it looked nasty -- he said getting 15 years of heavy cutting out of that saw was not bad)), I looked at the 261, 271, and 291. The 261 (MS 261 C-M) feels perfect. The power-to-weight ratio hits the sweet spot for me. I can reuse my old (brand new) 18" bar and chains. I decided to sleep on it but will pick it up this afternoon. I suppose it's worth spending the ~$15 for oil or premix to get a second year on the warranty. (I don't need the former, and latter feels a little weird). Thanks to all for your advice! Now I'm thinking of springing for one of those Timberline sharpeners. The Stihl filing kit works ok, but it's slow and tedious.

Thank You Sponsors!