iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building A Gang Saw

Started by Kevin_H., December 15, 2003, 03:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin_H.

I'm Thinking about trying to build a gangsaw, It would only need to pass a 1 1/2" x 8" x 36" board. It will be producing 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" square pcs.

has any one attempted this?

I am figureing 6 blades, I have an idea about how to build the arbor, but dont know how I will do the feed system, or how much HP may be needed to run the 6 blades

Still in the doodling stages

Any idea's? Throw'em my way.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

EZ

All I can say is that I went to a auction last summer and they had a gang saw with 4 blades and it had a 20 hp electric on it. Did'nt see it saw. Good luck with your project.
EZ

Don P

5 horses per blade is a rule of thumb. We had a thread not too long ago, I think SawyerKirk was building one?

Jeff

Our gangsaw has arbors just long enough to handle 5 blades at a 6/4 spacing. top and bottom 13 inch saws. Each arbor has a 75 horsepower motor. You can cut up to 4 inches with just the bottom or a max of 8 using both. there is another 25 H.P. motor that handles the drive.

Even at 75 horsepower, cutting 6/4 by 3.5 out of white oak or hard maple is ALL that saw wants, of course were honking it through there. We cut a lot of inch and a half square stuff with it for stake material.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sawyerkirk

I gave up!! you can get by with 2hp per blade, but more is better. Sawmill exchange has some! but if you are determined, you can take a small gear drive motor with a tire mounted on it to use to move your lumber through it.

Kevin_H.

Looks like maybe we are going to convert an edger, That should take care of the feed problem Still just kicking it around,

one problem is we dont have a good machine shop around here to make some of the needed parts.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Thank You Sponsors!