iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dozer for land clearing & trail/logging road work

Started by wfcjr, May 01, 2015, 09:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hillbilly_89

JD makes good equipment I just recently started logging myself but I'm a dirt worker.. been one for awhile.. the new dozer are a lot better than what they used to be.. they come with floats and cushions. . Hope you enjoy your dozer.. when you're in the market again I'd buy a front end loader.. you can do jusy about everything thing with it like you can a dozer and load stuff. .

Bruno of NH

Hillbilly 69
You would be hard put to find a full size tracked loader in New England .
Just not used up here .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Ron Scott

~Ron

Piston

-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

John Woodworth

Looking at the new JD machines have come a long way, I take it that's AC. On the cab, stereo and TV too? You would have to had run one of the old Cats, pony motor, standard transmission and Johnson bar with manual tilt on the blade to really appreciate these new machines.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

wfcjr

Finally got dozer from JD dealer that was doing mods.
Forestry package, risers, guarding, belly pan guards, tank guards, rock guards and root rake.
Decided against going with rippers and went with a root rake instead.  I know, I know, there is no winch.
But will use Wallenstein winch on JD tractor for skidding logs out.

Green thing in picture is Frontier grapple on tractor.  Need it to get root rake on & off pins on dozer.

BargeMonkey

WOW.  :D.   Looking good. That will do everything you want.

lopet

Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

g_man

Very nice machine !!  You will find that pretty useful just the way it is. I see you decided to go with the rock guards. A good move.

wfcjr

Quote from: g_man on August 23, 2015, 06:59:05 AM
I see you decided to go with the rock guards. A good move.

Yeh, based on advice from folks on the forum.  In fact, last two purchases of equipment were based heavily on forum advice.  Very valuable to have access to all of this experience.... Has pointed me in the right direction and kept me from making a few mistakes.  So thanks to all who have chimed in.

BargeMonkey

Rock guards are worth the money, just keep an eye on bottom roller bolts every once in a while. That J will last you forever, ours has 1400hrs and the pins still look close to new. I like that full woods package, that is nice.  ;)  having an enclosed cab will save you some of the computer trouble, but if your going to park it for a while I would take the brain out, big $$$ and lots of problems. Mice got to another guys 450J and he had to do a complete harness and it wasn't cheap.

Ron Scott

~Ron

Holmes

Can I come over and play with your toys?   :)
Think like a farmer.

wfcjr

Quote from: Holmes on August 25, 2015, 02:11:31 PM
  Can I come over and play with your toys?   :)

Please... "play" ... "toys"...

We do serious work here with useful tools and equipment.  I am offended and will likely abstain from
this board for the foreseeable future.   :D

lopet

Would be a shame if we lose you as a member because you are buried with all that serious work and not having fun !!!!!

I am sure Holmes didn't mean it that way.  :D :D
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

WV Mountaineer

For what you described you needed a dozer for, you got the PERFECT machine.  God Bless
Trying to live for the Lord, spend all the time I got with family, friends, hunting, fishing, and just enjoying my blessings.

wfcjr

Quote from: lopet on August 25, 2015, 08:58:58 PM
Would be a shame if we lose you as a member because you are buried with all that serious work and not having fun !!!!!

I am sure Holmes didn't mean it that way.  :D :D

Of course I was being sarcastic... sorry if someone took me seriously on that one.

Holmes

I was laughing , I knew you would like the question.  :D 8) :)
Think like a farmer.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Weekend_Sawyer

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

LAForestry

Very nice machine WFCJR, I've always been a big fan on the J modles, especially the 650J for what I do. Who is the manufacturer of the screens, sweeps, and rake, looks like GR tractor stuff?

wfcjr

Quote from: LAForestry on October 02, 2015, 09:55:28 PM
Very nice machine WFCJR, I've always been a big fan on the J modles, especially the 650J for what I do. Who is the manufacturer of the screens, sweeps, and rake, looks like GR tractor stuff?

Thanks, got lucky on this one.
Yes they are GR add ons.

wfcjr

Update...
Unfortunately with work, have not had much time this fall to use the 550J.
Played around a bit in the open, but not much woods work.

Finally got it out in the woods today... a few observations.

#1) I have a LOT to learn in operating this machine properly.

#2) Very happy that I got the forestry package, limb risers, guards, reinforced belly pans, etc.

#3) Glad that I took advice from folks who steered me away from rippers on a dozer this size.  The blade & the root/brush rake will do all that we need done.

#3) Pretty sure that for our uses, this is a "Goldilocks dozer"; not too small, not too big, just right.  I am sure that a lot of folks would have gone bigger.  But for what we want done, the kind of minimal impact we are looking for in the woods, the width of our logging/hiking trails and the ability to maneuver in tight spaces, pretty sure that this one is the ticket.

Now I just have to get the seat hours to become more proficient.  Hoping that if I tag out early enough in deer season, will have last portion of Nov & Dec, (before ski season) to work with it some more.

But I would highly recommend this style/size/class dozer for trail maintenance, woods work, work & maint around a farmstead, etc.

4x4American

One thing I just thought I'd mention, don't use the throttle to control your speed when pushing/pulling, use the thumb buttons that control the hydrostatic trans, keep the throttle at wide open.  Awesome machine you've got!
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!