iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tooth Setter

Started by Gideon_70, November 03, 2015, 04:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gideon_70

Okay, bending a tooth back to it's proper place doesn't seem hard.  But I looked and looked and looked for a tooth setter that I could afford, and finally found one on Ebay.  It worked after a fashion, but I didn't like it.  I tried to find a decent one, but they started at over 300 and got stupid after that.  I found one in a local pawn shop that was a beauty to behold.  It indexed, set, and sharpened all in one go, but the thing was too pretty to use, and it didn't matter because he refused to sell it at any price.  It thunked it was a hundred years old (not really, but the workmanship was there...)

So I broke out the weldemator, and the sawslabber and my trusty blue tipped wrench, and went to designing.  It's not pretty.  It's not a hundred years old, and I worked on it alone so I can't even combine ages to get more experience than I really have... but it does the job.  I did a couple of blades, and the first one I didn't trust it and went a little aggressive, but the second one was right on the money.

This is the prototype, and I know it's horrible looking, but I was bored and wanted to make some smoke.  Oh, just to say it, I went lazy last time and used my 90 amp Harbor Freight wire feed splatterbox, and that's why the welds look like a three eyar old made 'em.  The new welds are from a good old tombstone that I dug out from under a couple of bags of cans, a tent, an old pulley from a mower that died, an engine, two chainsaws, a ladder.... ahem, anyway...

This one is of the bolt that I used to set the teeth... I ground the profile to work with the angle of the handle, so that the tooth angle was kept clean.

I made four more today, and prettyfied them so's the people who see it don't laugh themselves to death, and I get arrested for it.
You cannot reduce crime by disarming the victims!

slider

My dad called it his blue wrench as well.Thanks for the memory.al
al glenn

terrifictimbersllc

Hats off to you guys that like to make things.  I do too, but I started using all my time to saw wood for others.  ::) ::) ::)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Gideon_70

I'm going to make four of them, if anyone is interested.  I promise they will be nicer than the one I splattered up.

Ga Mtn Man

Looks promising.  Are you going to add an indexing pawl or just line each tooth up manually?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Percy

Your welds look like mine :D

A  guy who knows how to weld told me...If you cant weld good, weld lots... :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Gideon_70

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on November 03, 2015, 10:21:36 PM
Looks promising.  Are you going to add an indexing pawl or just line each tooth up manually?

I'm gonna have to think about that.  I lined them up manually because there is bit of play in the setter.  I'll see what I can do.

Thank You Sponsors!