iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you load em on the trailer?

Started by OffGrid973, November 09, 2015, 12:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OffGrid973

For those with fork lifts I envy you, but curious if anyone has some "mods" that help get logs on the trailer besides those lessons learned from the Egyptians, minus the boat trailer winch :)

Pics would be great !!!

Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Jeff

Search the forum for the term parbuckle.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

What equipment do you have?  Or are we looking at it in this pic?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ljohnsaw

Also, since you already have a winch and your fenders are high, you can make an arch on the back of your trailer.  I don't remember the name of it but you make a tall frame with a cross member up high and hinged where it meets the trailer deck.  You have it leaning way out (45°) with a chain or cable down to the log (log tongs will come in handy) and  your winch pulls the top of the frame back.  That lifts and moves the log toward and up on your trailer.  Things to consider is a chain or cable to prevent the arch (and log) from falling on to the trailer should you pull too far (over center).  You will use several pulls to inch (well, several feet at a time) the log on to your trailer.  With the right hinge points, and a pulley block, you could manage to unload with it as well.  Though, tying the log to a fixed object and driving your trailer out from under it would work, too.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

GDinMaine

This video was posted by TomtheSawyer some time ago.  I believe there have been a number of different versions built.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PNc5ITIFjo
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

redprospector

I got the knuckle boom from wwsjr a while back. As far as I'm concerned, it's the only way to fly.  ;)
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

SFires

I really like your trailer redprospector a set up like that would sure be handy to have around
A man can always use more tools, more space,more wood, and a whole lot more time.

redprospector

Quote from: SFires on November 09, 2015, 09:15:51 PM
I really like your trailer redprospector a set up like that would sure be handy to have around

Thanks. It's handy as a shirt pocket (old saying).
I've hauled a lot of small logs for firewood with it, and some pretty nice logs for the mill.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

BCsaw

redprospector, that's just unfair.....apparently I don't have enough shirt pockets!

Man, that is the ticket.

All joking aside, very nice machine!
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

redprospector

Quote from: BCsaw on November 09, 2015, 10:23:12 PM
redprospector, that's just unfair.....apparently I don't have enough shirt pockets!

Man, that is the ticket.

All joking aside, very nice machine!
It may be a little unfair, but I've loaded them the hard way for a long long time. I've parbuckled them up on a gooseneck, I even built a lifting arch like the one that deadheader/DanG built, way back in the past. In 2001 I shattered my left knee rolling logs off the side of a gooseneck. My wife decided then that whatever it took, I was going to have a safer/better way to handle logs. I started with the flatbed dump trailer, then when wwsjr decided to sell the knuckle boom I bought it. Even a new one is cheaper than a shattered knee.

YellowHammer

I mounted this pickup truck service crane to my dump trailer.  It worked great, would dead lift 3200 lbs over the side, would reach out with an extending boom, and would fish logs with its crane winch from a decent distance away. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

kelLOGg

I can parbuckle from either side of the trailer. That suits my situation because I sometimes load city logs which takes less linear space than loading onto the rear.
Bob

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

drobertson

Quote from: kelLOGg on November 10, 2015, 06:22:11 AM
I can parbuckle from either side of the trailer. That suits my situation because I sometimes load city logs which takes less linear space than loading onto the rear.
Bob
This has to be one of the slickest low budget ones I've seen, very similar to how we've done it in the past, cwimer, you can either modify your trailer for side loading,(guards over the fenders) and add some stake pockets, or keep doing it the way you are. I have one customer that still does it the way you do, fenders are just pain in the rear sometimes,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

OffGrid973

You guys are the best, I have new project for the winter time when the snow falls.  For those newbies like myself here is a quick image :).

Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

WV Sawmiller

C973,

Hopefully some of the parbuckling experts here will chime in but I thought last time I saw this come up I was advised the line went over the top and pulled under the log to make it roll. I think I was told as your design shows the log would slide rather than roll.

Old timers - plz advise.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jeff

Wrong. It is pictured correctly.  (Non oldtimer)

Kingmt

Quote from: cwimer973 on November 10, 2015, 07:04:13 PM
You guys are the best, I have new project for the winter time when the snow falls.  For those newbies like myself here is a quick image :).

That is how I do it with the addition of a cant hook to keep it going right or to help it over a hump.
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

WV Sawmiller

I guess I am going to have to go parbuckle a log to resolve this in my own mind. In the thread "Parbuckling trailer" of 28 October 2015 (I think it was in urban forestry)  I asked this same question in response to a photo there and the answer was over the log and verified by the MagicMan.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jeff

You could, or you could just go watch this video. I think you are confused on how that log was rigged in the topic you mentioned. Magicman confirmed it was rigged correctly, not that your observation was correct.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=85082.msg1304923#msg1304923

Outer Rondacker

Guess I just learned something. Thanks guys.

Kbeitz

You want the log to turn with the roll not against it...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!