iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First post + mill shopping questions

Started by Outer Rondacker, November 11, 2015, 04:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Outer Rondacker

Well I have lurk long enough its time to say HI. I have spent many years around band mills and now I am shopping for one. I am looking second hand as I plan on using it for fun and to build a few pole barns. Mostly an Appalachian style log home.

With all first post a question gets asked so here is mine. What is a fair price for a LT30 from the mid 80 worth? Lets just say one blade with the mill and power forward, up and down.
One more question while we are at it. Is a LT30 capable of cutting appalachian style log home timbers? {8w x 12h}

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Welcome to the FF OR.
When asking what a fair price for an LT30 would be, we probably need a little more info.
Hours, engine, history of mill if its been registered with Woodmizer.
Has it been outside or shed / garage kept.
There's just a lot of variables involved.
If a particular mill is on record with Woodmizer, they can be a big help also.
What extras does the mill have on it, if any?

If you have found a mill you are interested in, post some pics.
Have you ran the mill or watched someone saw with it?

I have the LT40. I would assume the LT30 would saw an 8x12 with no problems at all.

About blades, personally I would have at least 2 boxes of 4 degrees. 4 degree is all I use.
I say 2 boxes only because I ship my blades to Woodmizer Re-Sharp in Georgia. While 1 box is getting sharpened, I'll have a box at my mill.
But in reality, I have about 8 boxes.  :D

Good luck to you and some more sawyers will be along to help.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

ScottInCabot

Welcome aboard!!!

Having just upgraded to the LT28 w/19hp...it's enough to do 8x12's all day.  Made some using Southern Red Oak....dang things are heavy to move.  Bring something to move them with.

Scott in Cabot
Timber framing RULES!

WV Sawmiller

Welcome to the FF.

Keep us informed of your findings and especially mistakes (the mistake you make as a new buyer is the same one the next new guy needs to be looking for - and many of us already made) and successes. Good luck in your endeavors.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Outer Rondacker

Thank you guys for the info. As for the mill I am looking at well I am looking at two different ones at the moment.
Mill one is a 1986LT30 kept on record with wood mizer and has under 100 hours on it. It was left outside for many years but has been stored indoors for the last few. I have not seen it saw yet and was told it had not cut a board in over 9 years. Comes with a 16hp B&S engine and a handful of blades that who knows if they are good or not. Power up and down and forward. Mill is not able to saw wood at the moment.
Mill two is an 1989 LT30 kept on record with wood mizer also and does not have an hour meter so hours are unknown. Owner said he is the second owner and only used it weekends to cut 8" logs in half for rustic work. Has a few blades and will let me cut up a log or two before I buy. Claims to have just refurbish the mill. Newer16 hp Kohler engine. Power up down and forward.
Both mills have no log ramps or cable winch anymore but that is ok I have a backhoe to load logs. Sorry I do not have pics as I have only spoke with the owners on the phone at this point. Both are 2.5 hours away from me. I have spent a lot of time running and tailing a LT40HD and understand the LT30 is not going to put out lumber fast. I am in no rush as I just enjoy being around a mill. I hope this can give a better idea of value so I can get an idea of what a mill like this would be selling for in your area. Thanks again.

starmac

I don't have a clue, what they are actually worth.
Last winter I paid 10,000 sight unseen for an 88 lt40hd, it came with a box of blades (new) and a woodmizer sharpener and setter.
I might have overpaid, but am more than happy with it. It had 800 hours, and all I had to cut was tighten the blade and turn the key, so I was happy.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

ncsawyer

I know I sold my old 94 LT40 manual (my dad was the original owner) with 2000 hours and a 18hp briggs this past spring for $9,300.  That same mill new now is close to $19K. Woodmizer should be able to give you a good estimate of what it is worth.   
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Nomad

What ncsawyer said.  Call WoodMizer and ask them for opinions on a reasonable estimate.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Outer Rondacker

Thank you guys. I spoke with wood mizer and looks like both mills are overpriced. Also looks like both owners are not giving the full truth about the mills. I will speak with each owner again and make my offer reflected on the info from wood mizer. If  we can not come to terms then I will continue to shop.

beenthere

Outer
One of our Forum sponsors is "Sawmill Exchange" and might be worth your while to check them out.  Left column near the bottom end.
Good luck on your search.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

47sawdust

Outer,
I live in Vermont and paid 8k for a 1997 Lt30 with a brand new 24 hp Honda on it.This was in 2010.It is a great sawmill.You will find a lot more LT40's for sale.I would urge you to look for a mid 90's or newer mill.WM is constantly improving there product and by that time they had more of the bugs worked out. There are mills out there.There is a Timber Harvester hydraulic mill for sale in my area for $9200.00.that's a lot of mill for the money.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Outer Rondacker

Beenthere I will take a look at the Exchange. Thanks

47Sawdust Where is the Timber Harvester listed?

Both of the  mid 80s LT30s I was looking at the owners wont move off of 6k. So that is out. Still shopping.

47sawdust

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Outer Rondacker

Thank You Sponsors!