iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing spruce again

Started by ladylake, May 23, 2014, 05:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ladylake

Sawing spruce yesterday again, a brand new 7/8  10° blade was up and down some but not terrible in not real wide spruce around 12", then I put on a 4°  3/4 tooth  resharpened blade with way better results,
way better but still not quite perfect as when pushing to hard in the wider cuts I'd still get a wave but not very often and I cut about 10 logs with the same blade... Those 3/4 pitch blades do work better in spruce.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

red oaks lumber

spruce, there's a oops from mother nature :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Peter Drouin

Spruce is easy if green, But dry is a pith  :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bruno of NH

I too was cutting spruce today .
Full of knots was like milling steel .logs have been cut for 3 years .
I'm new to milling my next logs are hemlock I hope they mill better .
Jim Bruno of NH
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

petefrom bearswamp

Jim, you will find Hemlock a lot friendlier than Spruce.
Blades will wander over the knots, but not make the wavy boards that seem to come from Spruce.
pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Peter Drouin

If the blades are sharp they cut flat. Pete try the 1 1/4 55 7°
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

Hemlock cuts mighty nice on a Thomas. I just use the 10° blades. Not saying that is what to use,just saying that is what I use.
Those hemlock will peel mighty easy this time of year too. I run the saw just through the bark the whole lenght of the log. Than I use a tire wrench to work under the bark. I need something better,wider,but it works mighty nice and quick too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

nk14zp

Make a spud from a piece of old leaf spring.
Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

thecfarm

It's on my list. If I was doing more of it,I would make one. I think my Father loaned his out to one of my brothers,about 30 years ago. Who knows where it is now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

47sawdust

I've been peeling fresh pine logs this week.I use a spud I made out of a leaf spring with a slight curve.I sharpened it on 3 sides and  welded it to a 20'' piece of pipe.Man the peeling goes pretty good this time of year.A debarked log can be pretty slippery,not always a good thing.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

thecfarm

That bark,shiney side up will find you in a heap on the ground mighty quick too.  ;)

bandmiller2

Ray, when I want to peel any log I grab an old roofers tool designed to replace roof shingles. Don't know the proper name but its long with an offset handle and slight curve designed to go under a shingle and hook and pull the nail. I use it upside down and it follows the curve of the log, best bark stripper I've ever used. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

I know what you mean,never used one,but have seen them. I need to get some more stuff done around here. The "stuff"never really gets "done".  :D  I need to get up in the woods and get some hemlock out. I might built the wife a small sugar shack. I might even built a spud. I have all the stuff kicking around here. Just have to fo it.

petefrom bearswamp

Peter, I have used the .055 7 degree blades better but still not great.
This was in plantation grown Norway.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Brucer

Several years back I was asked to resaw some 22" dry Spruce cants. You could surf on the waves. My only blade back then was the 1-1/4, .045, 10°, 7/8 pitch. Nothing I did could solve the problem -- brand new blades, realigned the mill, flooded the blade with lube, sawing at a crawl. The customer was not happy, but he could see I was doing everything possible to get a decent cut.

I spoke to WM about it and they suggested I try the new 7° blades, in 1-1/2" width. Same thickness, same pitch. Those made all the difference.

I've never been asked to saw Spruce again, but it's nice to know about the 3/4" pitch. Never know when someone is going to drop by with something unusual.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

roger 4400

Hi. I also use a 1 1/4  3/4  10 degrees on a Baker mill, I go slow and have no wavy boards with spruce. Last year I had 2 big spruces 24 in. from which I had 25  full 2X12 17 ft long without problems. Good luck.
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

Thank You Sponsors!