iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Edgers

Started by delvis, May 30, 2013, 08:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delvis

Who saws 'on the road' and has a portable edger they take with them?  If so, what brand do you have and what do you like or dislike about it? 

We have a stationary edger that was built by a company no longer around.  It works great and is mechanically simple, but we really want to get something we can take to the job site because it truly does save a lot of time compared to edging on the mill.  Our options at this point are to either sell it and buy something made to travel, or modify the one we have to travel over the road.
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

mobile demensia

How hard would it be to build a frame and axle under your stationary unit?I just aquired an old stationary that I plan to do this to. I am just starting out portable so I don't have much $$ to go out and buy a modern one. If anyone knows of any threads showing a stationary edger converted to portable please post a link.

Thanks MD
Timberjack 230D
Mobile Dimension 127
Woodcraft 30-20a
2 Stihl 660's
and growing

SPD748

How is your stationary edger powered? I would think that a stationary edger powered by a mounted, air cooled engine wouldn't be all that difficult to convert to mobile.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

customsawyer

If you don't have much room in your transport vehicle I would look at the Morgan edgers as they are able to fit into a pick-up with a 8' bed. If you are able to pull more than one trailer at a time than the sky is the limit.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

zmach

check out my edger on youtube it's mobile, Thezmach

Peter Drouin

I have a wood mizer and it works good for me
you can see it in the pic

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

mobile demensia

Zmach, I have looked at you edger videos several times and will be using some of you ideas on mine. I think you did a great job on it.
Timberjack 230D
Mobile Dimension 127
Woodcraft 30-20a
2 Stihl 660's
and growing

zmach

Thank  You Peter ,
If you need more photos, or help,  send your email address.

Thank You Sponsors!