iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

old barn lumber

Started by dean herring, February 15, 2015, 08:17:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dean herring

Have some old barn lumber,5/4 x 8 x 10 ft. pine.Don't know how old they are and they have nails in them. What do yall suggest I do with them. The ones I have now are solid as a rock. If they are worth the trouble I can get more. I will try to get some pics today. Thanks for any and advice. Dean 3D Lumber
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Magicman

Old barn lumber makes nice wall paneling.  I personally like it pressure washed, but the gray is also nice.  The nail holes give it "character".   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dgdrls

Good morning Dean,
Grab them up, pull as many of the nails as you can.
If you have a planer, make a skim pass to get the really rough stuff off.

I have done it with some white cedar and folks seem to like the "re-purpose" of the material

best
DGDrls

pabst79

These are some prints that are in my parents home, I really like the rustic look. Much cheaper that going to a gallery to have them framed!  :)

Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

woodworker9

I use a wire brush and a metal detector on re-purposed boards like this before running them through any machinery.  if you do run them through a machine, avoid standing in the line of fire.......

I agree with Magicman....they make beautiful wall paneling once they're cleaned up.  That is, assuming they don't smell like the two stall barn and tack room I tore down when I purchased my property.  I had to dig out 3 feet of "soiled" soil with a bobcat and a respirator just to get rid of the smell, and the wood was useless for anything inside a habitable dwelling.  Some people never heard of mucking out a stall, I guess.

03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Chuck White

Dean; There is a market for old barn boards.

Post an ad in the FF "For Sale" section.

Google "Old Barn Boards" and you should find several uses for it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dean herring

Thanks  Chuck will check that out as soon as I get back from church.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Thank You Sponsors!